About This Chapter
TABE Math - Grade 2: Measurement & Data - Chapter Summary
Going through each interactive lesson in this chapter can help you to brush up on measurement and data before you take the TABE exam. All of the following topics are addressed in this chapter:
- The metric system
- U.S. customary units
- Interpreting bar graphs
- Picture graphs
- Steps involved in solving word problems
- Number value of different coins
- Locating missing coins
- Calculating and comparing money amounts
- Money-related word problems
After you complete each lesson in this chapter and take its corresponding self-assessment quiz, you will have a more accurate idea of what you are going to be tested on during the TABE exam. As a result, you will have more confidence going into the test. If you have questions throughout the study process, look to the experts for assistance.
1. Distance in the Metric System
Watch this video lesson to learn what units are used in the metric system for measuring. Also, learn how easy it is to convert from one unit to another.
2. U.S. Customary Units to Measure Distance
After watching this video lesson, you will know what the units for measuring distance are in the United States and how to convert between the units. You will see that there is a special number for each conversion.
3. Reading & Interpreting Bar Graphs
In this lesson, you will learn about the parts of a bar graph and what they mean. You will look at the title, labels, and bars of data, and then you can practice reading and interpreting a sample bar graph.
4. Practice with Bar Graphs
Bar graphs tell you how much you have of different things, but that's not all they can tell you! In this lesson, we'll practice reading and analyzing bar graphs, and we'll also learn how to use them to compare amounts.
5. Representing Data through Picture Graphs
In this lesson, we will learn how picture graphs are great tools to organize, represent, and interpret data. Also, we will explore the functions and features of picture graphs.
6. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
7. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
8. Coins: Number Value & Letter Name
Learn about the coins that we use to purchase things in the United States, including the value of each type of coin, the name of each type of coin, and what each coin looks like.
9. How to Find the Missing Coin
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve missing coin problems. Learn what mathematical operations you should use to figure out what kind of coin you are missing.
10. Adding & Subtracting Money Amounts
Some people say money makes the world go around, but as this lesson demonstrates, money gets added and subtracted, just like anything else. Using the example of an allowance, we'll see how adding and subtracting money is really quite simple.
11. Comparing Two Sets of Money
In this lesson, you will be comparing two sets of money. You'll learn how to use circles and scrap paper to find the amount of money in each set, as well as everyday math symbols to write an equation for the money sets.
12. Solving Word Problems with Money
Using money is an important skill that you'll use your whole life. Nearly every transaction that you do that involves money can be thought of as a word problem. In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve word problems that involve money.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TABE - Math: Practice & Study Guide course
- TABE Math - Grade K: Counting & Cardinality
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 6: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 7: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Functions
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Geometry
- About the TABE Test
- TABE - Math Flashcards