About This Chapter
TABE Math - Grade 3: Measurement & Data - Chapter Summary
Use this comprehensive overview of measurement and data to prepare for third grade math questions on TABE test. After reviewing the lessons, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define and identify even and odd numbers
- Explain even number pairing and equations
- Tell time on an analog clock and calculate elapsed time
- Read time lines, convert units of time and understand laboratory measurements
- Measure capacity and mass using the metric system
- Use a ruler in inches, and reading and interpret line graphs
- Share the meaning of perimeter and find the perimeter of triangles and rectangles
Each lesson in this chapter averages about six minutes, giving you access to short lessons that enable you to condense days or weeks of materials. Save even more time and effort by using timelines with video tags that allow you to identify and skip to key topics within the lessons.
TABE Math - Grade 3: Measurement & Data Chapter Objectives
The Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) is designed to gauge the knowledge and skills of adult learners. There are a number of TABE tests available, but the premier option is TABE 9&10, which explores test takers' comprehension of reading, language, language mechanics, vocabulary, spelling and math. Topics in this chapter prepare you for measurement and data questions in the applied mathematics portion of this test. The applied mathematics portion has a complete battery number of items listed at 50, while the survey number of items is listed at 25.
You can prepare for questions on the exam by refreshing your knowledge of measurement and data with the lessons in this chapter. Self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam are available to gauge your comprehension of the materials. If you have any questions about lesson topics, feel free to submit them to our experts.
1. What Are Odd & Even Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what odd and even numbers are with the help of some visual aids. You'll also learn some interesting properties of odd and even numbers. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. How to Identify Even & Odd Numbers
In this short lesson, you will learn a bit more about numbers. You will learn what makes a number even, what makes a number odd, and how to identify each.
3. Even Number Pairing & Equations
Integers can be even or odd. This lesson will discuss the concepts of even pairings and even number equations, which will lead to the technical definition of even numbers and allow us to determine if a given number is even or odd.
4. How to Tell Time on an Analog Clock
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to read the big clock with moving hands that is on the wall of most classrooms. You will see how the clock is divided into hours, minutes, and seconds.
5. How to Measure & Calculate Elapsed Time
Time is constantly passing, but how can we calculate how much time is passing? In this lesson, we'll learn what elapsed time is and explore two ways to measure and calculate it.
6. How to Read Timelines
Timelines can teach you a lot about both historical and personal events if you know how to read them. In this lesson, you will learn how to read the title, time periods, and events on a timeline.
7. Converting Units of Time
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the units of time that we use to count time and know how to convert between these units. Learn the one number that you have to multiply and divide by to make your conversions.
8. What is the Metric System?
Most of the world relies on the metric system for measuring distance, weight, volume, and time. Watch this video lesson to learn what kinds of measurements are used in the metric system.
9. Understanding Laboratory Measurements: Units & Types
There are many different units that can be used for measurements. This may not only lead to incorrect data measurements, but also to confusion about which units are most appropriate. Therefore, a standard set of units is used for each type of measurement in the biology lab.
10. Measuring Capacity Using the Metric System
In this video lesson, you will learn what units are used to measure capacity or volume in the metric system. You will also learn how to convert between these units and what special numbers are required to do so.
11. Measuring Mass Using the Metric System
After watching this video lesson, you will know which units for mass are used in the metric system along with how to convert between the units. You will find out which special numbers are used for the conversions.
12. How to Use a Ruler in Inches
What do all of the little lines on ruler represent? How do you measure using inches? Don't worry, this lesson will answer all of your inch-measuring questions.
13. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
14. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
15. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TABE - Math: Practice & Study Guide course
- TABE Math - Grade K: Counting & Cardinality
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 6: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 7: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Functions
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Geometry
- About the TABE Test
- TABE - Math Flashcards