About This Chapter
TABE Math - Grade 6: Ratios and Proportional Relationships - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains lessons that review ratios and proportional relationships, including finding the unit rate, solving problems involving ratios and rates, and working with time. The process for using tables and diagrams to solve ratio problems, solving problems with money, and using the distance formula are also covered. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with:
- Definition of ratios and rates
- Finding unit rates
- Solving one-step problems involving ratios or rates
- Using tables and diagrams to solve ratio problems and find missing values
- How to calculate unit price and total cost
- Unit conversion and dimensional analysis
Knowledgeable instructors walk you through each lesson and are available to answer any questions you may have. You can rewatch key moment from the video lessons using the jump feature and test your knowledge with self-assessment quizzes or printable worksheets. Track your progress through the course by visiting your Dashboard.
TABE Math Grade 6: Ratios and Proportional Relationships Chapter Objectives
The TABE exam can be administered for a variety of purposes, including as preparation for the GRE or entrance into the workforce. It is a comprehensive test used in adult basic skills assessment and measures student competency in all major subject areas, including reading, mathematics computation, applied mathematics, language, language mechanics, vocabulary and spelling. The content found in this chapter of the math study guide may be tested in the applied mathematics section, which makes up about 50 questions of the full-length TABE exam. This test can be administered in a paper-and-pencil or computer-based format and is a multiple-choice exam.
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
3. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Ratios
Ratios show the relationship between different things. They can be very useful in math and everyday life. Learn how you can quickly and easily solve one-step ratio problems.
4. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Rates
One of the most useful aspects of math is the ability to take a rate and use it to solve questions of time or quantity. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use rates, time, and quantity to solve for each other.
5. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
6. Solving Ratio Problems With Tables, Tape Diagrams & Double Number Lines
In this lesson, you'll find out how to solve ratio problems in three different ways. For example, you'll learn how to use a table, a tape diagram and a double number line while deciding which method for solving a ratio problem is right for you.
7. Using Tables of Equivalent Ratios to Find Missing Values
Read this lesson to learn how you can use a table of equivalent ratios to help you solve problems. Learn where to look in your table to help you find your answer.
8. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
9. Item Unit Price & Total Cost: Calculations & Examples
Two of the most important figures for a business are the unit price and the total cost. In this lesson, we learn how to calculate both as well as the relationship between the two figures.
10. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
11. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TABE - Math: Practice & Study Guide course
- TABE Math - Grade K: Counting & Cardinality
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 6: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 7: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Functions
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Geometry
- About the TABE Test
- TABE - Math Flashcards