About This Chapter
TABE Math - Grade 7: Expressions & Equations
The content found in this chapter can help you refresh you math skills before taking the TABE exam. Watch engaging lessons on translating math sentences into inequalities, distributing algebraic expressions with numbers and variables and graphing inequalities. This chapter also covers the following topics:
- Simple algebraic expressions
- Purpose of distributing in algebra
- Differences between distributing first and adding first
- Solving rational equations
- Inverse operations in math
- One-step linear inequalities
- Solving division and multiplication word problems with one variable
As you go through the lessons in this chapter, try to retain as much math-related concepts as you can. Watch the illustrated videos taught by subject-matter experts, then take the corresponding quizzes to assess your knowledge.
TABE Math - Grade 7: Expressions & Equations Chapter Objectives
The TABE exam assesses your knowledge in multiple subject areas, including reading, mathematics, language, vocabulary and spelling. The topics in this chapter are part of the applied math section of the exam. Use these lessons to improve your ability to analyze equations and expressions before taking this exam.
1. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
2. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
3. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
4. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
5. Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra
Once we've mastered distributing a single term, it's time to raise the stakes. In this lesson, we'll learn how about distribution involving two, three and even more terms.
6. Inverse Operations in Math: Definition & Examples
In mathematics, inverse operations are operations that 'undo' each other. Most operations have an inverse. This lesson describes the most common operations and their inverses, and it provides some examples and a quiz to cement your knowledge.
7. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
8. Writing & Solving Multiplication Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to take a multiplication word problem and translate it into an algebraic expression that you can solve. You will also learn how to solve these problems from the expressions that you write.
9. Writing & Solving Division Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to solve word problems that involve the division operator. Learn how to write your math problem using an algebraic expression and then solve it.
10. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
11. Solving One-Step Linear Inequalities
In this video lesson, you will learn how you can solve any kind of linear inequality that only requires one step. Learn when you need to subtract, when you need to add, when you need to multiply, and when you need to divide.
12. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TABE - Math: Practice & Study Guide course
- TABE Math - Grade K: Counting & Cardinality
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 1: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 2: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 3: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 4: Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Measurement & Data
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Number & Operations in Base Ten
- TABE Math - Grade 5: Operations with Fractions
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 6: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 6: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Geometry
- TABE Math - Grade 7: The Number System
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- TABE Math - Grade 7: Statistics & Probability
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Expressions & Equations
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Functions
- TABE Math - Grade 8: Geometry
- About the TABE Test
- TABE - Math Flashcards