About This Chapter
TACHS: Decimals - Chapter Summary
By the time you finish working through this chapter, you will be able to do calculations with decimals fluently and correctly. Review the following information in these lessons:
- Understanding decimals and place value
- Decimal-related terms and vocabulary
- How to order and compare decimals
- Inequalities, decimals and mixed numbers
- Operations and problem-solving with decimals
- Simplifying expressions and multi-step inequalities using decimals
We make it easy to get help when you need it. You can ask our instructors questions, and we have subject matter experts available to you who can provide additional information. This gives you one more reason to be comfortable with our lessons, because you know that help is never far away.
TACHS: Decimals Objectives
Admission into many Catholic high schools requires that you pass the TACHS exam. It is also a screening device that helps the school place students in ninth-grade classes. The math subtest, which these lessons address, accounts for 50% of the total score.
The TACHS test has 200 multiple-choice questions total. You will be expected to read each question carefully and choose the correct answer from the list of possible responses given. You will take the test using paper and pencil.
1. Working with Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will become well acquainted with decimals and how to work with them. Learn how you can use them to help you describe what is going on around you.
2. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
3. Using Word Names for Decimal Numbers
In this video lesson, we go in depth into translating our decimal numbers into the English language. Learn how to write out decimal numbers and the special situations that there are.
4. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
5. Inequalities with Decimals
In this video lesson, we talk about solving inequalities with decimals. You will learn in what order to take your steps to solve these types of problems.
6. Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to convert easily between decimals and mixed numbers. Learn what kinds of decimals you can and cannot convert to a mixed number.
7. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
8. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
9. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
10. Solving Multi-Step Inequalities with Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn the steps that are involved in solving inequalities for an unknown variable. We'll see that the order of operations stays the same, but there's a very significant difference when it comes to negative numbers!
11. How to Simplify Expressions Involving Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to take any expression involving decimals and simplify it. You'll learn what to look for and what things you can combine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards