About This Chapter
TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics - Chapter Summary
This overview of estimation in mathematics can help you review concepts you haven't explored in months or years. Watching the video lessons will help ensure that you're prepared for the following on the test:
- Displaying how to solve mathematical problems using estimation
- Showcasing an ability to estimate a difference by rounding
- Using front-end estimation
- Exhibiting your ability to estimate the sum and difference between two decimals
Instructors present the materials with the help of entertaining visual effects that make the studying process fun and engaging. You can watch the lessons from the comfort of your home or on the go via your smartphone or tablet.
TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics Objectives
The topics in this chapter on estimation in mathematics are covered in the math section of the multiple-choice test. In this section, you will be asked to estimate answers to math problems and compute answers. Use the lessons in this chapter as a way to strengthen your understanding of estimation. You can also use the self-assessment quizzes to reinforce lesson concepts. If you want to revisit specific portions of the videos, use the timelines to identify and skip to key topics within the lessons.
In New York, 8th grade students are required to take the TACHS test if they want to attend one of the Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese of New York or Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens. Students must take the test in November 2015 to attend a school in the 2016-2017 school year.
1. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
2. Estimating a Difference by Rounding
After studying this lesson, you will understand rounding basics. You'll also learn how to quickly solve subtraction problems by using your rounding skills.
3. How to Use Front-End Estimation
In this video lesson, you will learn how to estimate addition and subtraction problems by using the method of front end estimation. Learn what is involved and what you need to be careful of.
4. Estimating the Sum & Difference Between Two Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how to take an addition or subtraction problem with decimals and estimate the answer by rounding. You will learn that a rounded answer is very close to the actual answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards