About This Chapter
TACHS: Factoring - Chapter Summary
As part of your preparations for the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS), watch these lessons and complete the assessments to improve your factoring skills. Each lesson is taught by an expert instructor who will help you prepare by explaining:
- Examples of factoring in algebra
- Fraction notation and solving equivalent expressions
- Steps in factoring out variables
- Combining numbers and variables
- Using division problems to factor
- How to factor by grouping
- Finding factors and multiples of whole numbers
Following these lesson videos, fortify your retention of the information presented in them by reading the lesson transcripts. Test your understanding of these lessons by taking the lesson quizzes. These quizzes will provide you with video tags to re-review the parts of the lessons that you want to go over again.
TACHS: Factoring Objectives
One of the factors used to determine your acceptance into a Catholic high school is your performance on the TACHS. This entrance exam is use to assess the academic skills of students in the Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens. On this test, you will see four sub-tests: reading, language, mathematics and ability. The second part of the math test will evaluate your ability to use operations and problem solving strategies to solve math problems. This chapter will help improve your skills in factoring so that you can improve your capacity to answer questions with algebraic elements.
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
3. Factoring Out Variables: Instructions & Examples
Let's find the factors. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out numbers or variables from an expression. We'll even learn how to factor variables with exponents.
4. Combining Numbers and Variables When Factoring
With an expression, you know how to factor out a number, and you know how to factor out a variable. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out combined numbers and variables.
5. Transforming Factoring Into A Division Problem
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can factor a problem by turning it into a division problem. Learn how this actually helps you to factor and keep your numbers straight.
6. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
7. Finding Factors of Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to factor any whole number that you are given. You will learn what factors are and how a whole number can have several different factors.
8. Finding Multiples of Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will become a pro at finding multiples of whole numbers. Learn what they are and how you can visualize the process to make it easier for you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards