About This Chapter
TACHS: Geometric Measurement - Chapter Summary
Studying for an admissions test can feel overwhelming if you're not sure what to expect. In this chapter, you can review geometric measurement, which is one of the topics you will see on the TACHS test. By watching the lessons, you will become ready to:
- Define surface area
- Find the surface area of a cylinder and pyramid
- Analyze combined figures and find the perimeter of polygons, triangles and rectangles
- Measure the area of regular polygons, triangles and rectangles
- Find the perimeter of quadrilaterals and irregular or combined shapes
- Explore the area of complex figures, as well as the area and circumference of circles
- Examine the volume of prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones and spheres
Watch the videos in the sequence that works for your studies. You can also visit specific portions of any lesson by using the timeline located below each video to jump to key topics.
TACHS: Geometric Measurement Objectives
The TACHS test is required of 8th grade students interested in attending Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens or the Archdiocese of New York. Students who seek admission to a school for a given school year must take the test during the previous November.
The multiple-choice test consists of four primary sections that test students' comprehension of reading, math, language and ability. Topics in this chapter are reflective of the math section of the test. You can use the self-assessment quiz with each lesson to access questions similar in format and content to those on the test. A chapter exam is also available to gauge your comprehension of all of the lessons.
1. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
2. How to Find Surface Area of a Cylinder
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula you can use to find the surface area of a cylinder. Learn the measurements that you'll need as well as how to use them.
3. How to Find Surface Area of a Pyramid
In this video lesson, we will learn how to take any pyramid, whether it's a pyramid in Egypt or a little toy pyramid, and calculate how much paint we will need to paint it. Learn the formula and what is behind it.
4. Combined Figures: Perimeter, Area, and Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can break up the shapes in a combined figure to easily find the perimeter, area, and volume of the whole figure.
5. Finding the Perimeter of Polygons
In this video lesson, you will learn the process you need to take to find the perimeter of polygons. You will also learn that there is a shortcut if your polygon is a regular polygon.
6. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
8. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
9. Perimeter of Quadrilaterals and Irregular or Combined Shapes
Sometimes you need to figure out a shape's perimeter whether you have all the information you want or not. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the perimeter of any quadrilateral as well as more complicated irregular and combined shapes.
10. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
11. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
12. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
13. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards