About This Chapter
TACHS: Introduction to Geometry - Chapter Summary
Brush up on your abilities with plane and solid figures as you work through the lessons in this chapter. The following topics are included in the videos:
- Geometry: definition and explanation
- Plane figures and basic shapes
- Shapes in three dimensions
Each of our lessons is followed by a short quiz that will help you measure your understanding of what you have learned. These quizzes, along with the exam at the end of the chapter, will give you a clear picture of your strong and weak points. You will need a convenient place to keep track of your progress as you work your way through the lessons. Our dashboard feature helps you stay organized so that you will always know where you stand.
TACHS: Introduction to Geometry Objectives
The TACHS exam, an admissions test required by many Catholic high schools, is composed of subtests in four content areas. These are reading, writing, math and general reasoning. The lessons in our Introduction to Geometry chapter are intended to help you prepare for the mathematics subtest.
The TACHS test is taken using paper and pencil, so you will need to have two sharpened #2 pencils with you. All of the questions are multiple-choice. Below each question or problem, you will find a list of several possible responses. From these, you must choose the response that best answers the question.
1. What is Geometry?
Geometry can be traced all the way back to 2000 BC. Watch this video lesson and learn how much geometry has grown over time, and how people from Egypt, Greece, and France have contributed to the geometry we now use today.
2. Overview of the Basic Shapes in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic shapes in geometry. These are the shapes that you will come across most often in math. Watch as triangles, rectangles, pentagons, and circles come by.
3. Overview of Three-dimensional Shapes in Geometry
We are surrounded by three-dimensional shapes. Watch this video lesson to see what some three-dimensional shapes look like, such as a cube, a sphere, a brick, and a cylinder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards