About This Chapter
TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers - Chapter Summary
Before you take the TACHS test, let our instructors guide you through this chapter on how to write, work with, and graph rational and irrational numbers. The following information is presented in these short video lessons:
- Understanding rational and irrational numbers
- Graphing and notation of rational numbers
- Operations with rational numbers; finding absolute value
We coordinate our video lessons, full written transcripts and quizzes so that you can easily refer from one to another. Key terminology and vocabulary words are highlighted for quick reference, and you can test your knowledge with the quizzes you'll find at the end of each lesson. Track your progress, check your memory and polish your abilities using this multi-pronged approach so that you make the very most of your study time.
TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers Objectives
In order for you to qualify for admission into many Catholic high schools, you must first take and pass the TACHS. The lessons in this chapter will help you prepare for the mathematics subtest, which accounts for 50% of the overall score.
The TACHS is composed of four subtests. These are reading, language arts, mathematics and general reasoning. It is a paper-based exam with 200 questions, all of which are multiple-choice. Of the list of possible responses shown below each question, you must choose the correct one.
1. What are Irrational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
Irrational numbers may not be crazy, but they do sometimes bend our minds a little. Learn about common irrational numbers, like the square root of 2 and pi, as well as a few others that businessmen, artists, and scientists find useful.
2. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
3. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
4. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
5. Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract rational numbers like a pro. Learn what is involved in adding and subtracting these types of numbers.
6. Finding the Absolute Value of a Rational Number
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to deal with absolute values of simple numbers and more complex problems. Learn the order in which you should do calculations so that your answers are correct.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TACHS: Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards