About This Chapter
TACHS: Language & Spelling - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help you polish your grammar skills. From those pesky semi-colons to elipses (no, they are not just in math!), you'll get lots of practice on all the aspects of English punctuation and grammar. Plus, you can brush up on spelling and learn some new tricks to use on multiple-choice spelling tests! After completing this chapter, you will have covered:
- Strategies for taking multiple-choice spelling tests
- Words that sound alike: homophones and homonyms
- The use of prefixes, suffixes, and roots
- Rules and signs of punctuation
- Colons, semi-colons, and periods
- Hyphens, brackets, eclipses, and quotation marks
- Commas and their usage
- Exclamation marks, apostrophes, parentheses, and dashes
- Editing for mechanics
Writing and communicating are the basis for nearly every subject in high school and college, and the topics in this chapter are sure to improve both. From capitalization and punctuation to editing your writing, the short video lessons in this chapter will help you prepare for the Language portion of the TACHS exam.
TACHS: Language & Spelling Objectives
The TACHS exam is comprised of four subtests: Reading, Language, Math, and Ability. The grammar and spelling topics covered in this chapter will help you prepare for the Language portion of the exam. The Language subtest includes tests in: spelling, capitalization, punctuation, usage, and expression. The short videos and multiple-choice questions at the end of each lesson will help ensure you are ready!
The TACHS test is paper-based and computer-scored, so have your number two pencils sharpened and your erasers ready! You will have approximately two hours to complete the exam. No electronic devices, including calculators, are allowed.
1. Spelling Strategies for Multiple-Choice Spelling Tests
Do not let spelling tests be the bane of your existence--learn to take a spelling test with confidence! This lesson discusses spelling strategies and applies them to multiple-choice tests.
2. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
3. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
4. What is Punctuation? - Rules & Signs
In this lesson, we'll find out what punctuation is. We'll then learn some rules for using the most common punctuation marks as well as review sample sentences utilizing the punctuation rules.
5. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
6. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
7. Exclamation Mark: Use & Meaning
The exclamation mark (!), also called the exclamation point, is a form of punctuation that is sometimes used at the end of a single word, phrase or complete sentence. Its goal is to express an extremely strong and intense statement.
8. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
9. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
10. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
11. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
12. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
13. Editing for Mechanics: Definition & Concept
Find out what 'editing for mechanics' means and how to apply it to your writing. Learn what to look for when you're editing for mechanics, and then take a quiz to test your new skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards