About This Chapter
TACHS: Linear Equations - Chapter Summary
Understanding slope and linear equations has far more practical applications than you might think. Before taking the TACHS exam, learn more about related topics. In these lessons, you will learn about the following:
- Definition, components, graphing and forms of linear equations
- Graphs, rules and abstract algebraic examples
- How to graph undefined and zero slope
- Writing linear equations
The video lessons and quizzes in this chapter put some powerful tools in your toolbox. As you watch the videos and test your progress with the quizzes, you will identify where you do and don't need additional study and can customize your review to your specific needs. The dashboard provides a convenient place to keep track of your work, thus helping you stay organized.
TACHS: Linear Equations Chapter Objectives
The TACHS exam is a paper-based admissions test required by many Catholic high schools. Our Linear Equations chapter aligns with the math subtest, one of the four content areas contained in the exam. All of the questions on the test are multiple-choice. You must choose the correct answers from the options given.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
3. Abstract Algebraic Examples and Going from a Graph to a Rule
Just because you now know what a linear equation is doesn't mean that you are a master! This video will help you learn how to apply your knowledge of linear equations in more abstract algebraic ways.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards