About This Chapter
TACHS: Square Roots - Chapter Summary
As you get ready to learn more about square roots in time for the TACHS test, you might find yourself revisiting concepts that were explained by your math teachers. You can simplify the process of reviewing related topics with video lessons that prepare you to:
- Find the square root of a number
- Evaluate the square roots of perfect squares
- Simplify square roots when not perfect squares
- Exhibit an ability to simplify expressions containing square roots
The lessons offer a quality overview of square roots that provides you with steps and examples you need to succeed on the exam. If you have any questions about lesson topics, our experts are ready to offer assistance.
TACHS: Square Roots Chapter Objectives
Students currently in the 8th grade who seek admission to a Catholic high school in the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens or the Archdiocese of New York are required to take the TACHS test. The test is administered in November for attendance during the next school year. There are four sections on the multiple-choice test that explore math, reading, language and ability. The lessons in this chapter cover topics found in the math section.
Make studying for the test simple by reviewing the lessons in this chapter in their video form, or as full lesson transcripts with easily identifiable vocabulary words. Short quizzes and a chapter exam are also available that you can use to gauge how well you understand the lessons.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Squares and square roots are inverse, or opposite, operations involving radicals. Learn how to determine the square root of perfect squares in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
4. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards