About This Chapter
TACHS: Standard Measurement - Chapter Summary
These lessons will help you to work effectively with and convert between the standard and metric systems of measurement. Study them so you'll be ready for related questions on the TACHS test. The videos contain the information in the list below:
- Using, converting and performing operations with standard units
- Using and performing conversions with metric units
- Reading and understanding scale drawings
The bright, informative and lively style of our videos makes these lessons interesting and fun to explore. If you would rather read through the lesson than view a video, our transcripts make this easy. We highlight key vocabulary, and you can refer from the transcripts to the videos whenever you like. If you'd prefer to look at just a section of a video without going through the entire lesson, you can use the timeline feature to skip directly to the part you want to replay.
TACHS: Standard Measurement Chapter Objectives
The TACHS exam is a paper-based, multiple-choice admissions exam required for entry into many Catholic high schools. You will need to bring two #2 pencils with you. The test is divided into four subtests that cover reading, math, writing and general reasoning skills. Following each question, there is a short list of possible answers. You will be expected to read each question carefully and choose the response that best answers it.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
6. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards