About This Chapter
TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem - Chapter Summary
Here's an opportunity for your student to study the Pythagorean theorem and its purpose in mathematics. In advance of answering relevant questions on the TACHS examination, a young learner can explore the theorem's basics through the online videos in this chapter. Your student could become proficient at applying the Pythagorean theorem to identify and find the missing sides of right triangles. Practice problems are provided so that your child can build skills in this area. Upon completion of the lessons, your student might be able to:
- Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the answers to problems
- Understand the converse of the Pythagorean theorem
- Determine the length of a right triangle's hypotenuse
- Locate a right triangle's shorter sides
- Calculate the answers to functional problems
Before your child takes the TACHS examination, he or she can use these teacher-delivered video lessons to brush up on the Pythagorean theorem and build upon what has already been covered in their math class. Designed to be self-paced, the animated video lessons feature stop, forward and pause functions, and they can be watched online with a desktop computer, laptop or tablet. Main topics can be reached quickly by using the video tags under the timeline link. Multiple-choice quizzes evaluate your eighth-grader's progress. Quiz results can be printed and used to study conveniently offline.
TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem Chapter Objectives
There are four sections on the TACHS examination: Reading, Language, Mathematics and Ability. Your child can apply what they learned about the Pythagorean theorem during the Mathematics section. Registration can be completed online, by phone or by mail.
1. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
2. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
3. How to Find the Hypotenuse of a Right Triangle Using the Pythagorean Theorem
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the Pythagorean Theorem and its resultant formula to help you find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle when you know the measurements of the triangle's two other sides.
4. How to Find Shorter Sides on a Right Triangle Using the Pythagorean Theorem
Sure, the Pythagorean Theorem is useful for finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle, but what about the other sides? As this lesson shows, it's just a matter of flipping the formula.
5. How to Solve Functional Problems Involving the Pythagorean Theorem
One of the most useful aspects of studying triangles is the Pythagorean Theorem. In this lesson, we use it to find the unknown length of a side of a triangle, whether it is a shorter side or the hypotenuse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Transformations in Math
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards