About This Chapter
TACHS: Transformations in Math - Chapter Summary
When your eighth grade student utilizes these video and text lessons, they could learn to work with transformations in math. As they get ready for transformations questions on the TACHS examination's mathematics section, students can study how to solve translation problems, draw reflections, find distance and identify 2D shapes. While strengthening their understanding of the rules of rotation, students could become proficient at using coordinate notation and determining whether a rotation is clockwise or counter-clockwise. Studying the lessons could allow your child to:
- Define and understand math rotations, reflections and translations
- Understand the reflection of simple shapes and give examples of two-dimensional shapes
- Recognize lines of symmetry
- Graph translations, rotate shapes, find coordinates and graph reflections across the origin
- Solve distance formulas
- Use the Pythagorean theorem
Animated video lessons are followed by short quizzes that ensure that your student is absorbing information on translations. The lessons can be accessed online 24/7. Knowledgeable instructors provide their narration and expertise. Pause and play functions make navigating the lessons easy for students who are preparing to take the TACHS examination. There are also text transcripts and quizzes, and students can submit their questions when they go to the Dashboard area.
TACHS: Transformations in Math Chapter Objectives
Having supplemented their full-time school studies with this chapter's lessons, your student could be ready to address transformations questions when working on the TACHS examination's mathematics section. The test also includes questions that evaluate your child's language, reading and general reasoning abilities.
Registration materials can be picked up at Catholic schools, parishes, public libraries, and at public and private elementary schools. Admit Cards will then be dispersed, and they include pertinent test information. You and your child should choose three preferred Catholic high schools, and write them on the Admit Card. Bring the information and several No. 2 pencils to the testing appointment in November.
1. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
2. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
3. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
4. Reflecting Simple Shapes in a Mirror Line
What is reflection? How can we reflect a shape over a line? You will learn about this as well as about the important properties of reflection as it relates to math!
5. What are 2D Shapes? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will find out how a flat piece of paper will help you determine what shapes are considered 2D. You will also learn the wide variety of 2D shapes you may encounter in life.
6. Identifying the Line of Symmetry: Definition & Examples
Symmetry can occur in many different ways in mathematics. In this lesson, learn how to identify unique forms of symmetry by finding the line of symmetry.
7. Graphing Translations & Finding a Set of Coordinates
In this lesson, you're going to learn how to translate figures by counting boxes, find the coordinates of points, and learn how to translate a figure more quickly using simple math.
8. Rotating Shapes by Degrees, Center & Direction
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the definition and basic concept of rotation as well as how to rotate any shape about the origin in a coordinate plane. Finish up the lesson, then test your understanding with a quiz!
9. How to Graph Reflections Across Axes, the Origin, and Line y=x
A graph can be reflected in three ways - across the axes, the origin and the line y = x. There are specific rules to perform each reflection. This lesson will describe those rules and show you how to perform these reflections.
10. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
11. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools (TACHS): Practice & Study Guide course
- TACHS: Vocabulary Practice
- TACHS: Reading Comprehension
- TACHS: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- TACHS: Technical & Informational Text
- TACHS: Literary Text
- TACHS: Poetry
- TACHS: Language & Spelling
- TACHS: Sentence Structure & Word Usage
- TACHS: Expressing Ideas in Writing
- TACHS: Number Sense & Operations
- TACHS: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- TACHS: Integers
- TACHS: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- TACHS: Inequality Practice
- TACHS: Estimation in Mathematics
- TACHS: Decimals
- TACHS: Fractions
- TACHS: Percent
- TACHS: Ratios & Proportion
- TACHS: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- TACHS: Algebraic Distribution
- TACHS: Square Roots
- TACHS: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TACHS: Scientific Notation
- TACHS: Standard Measurement
- TACHS: Introduction to Geometry
- TACHS: Geometric Measurement
- TACHS: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- TACHS: Properties of Lines
- TACHS: The Coordinate Graph
- TACHS: Triangles
- TACHS: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- TACHS: The Pythagorean Theorem
- TACHS: Graphical Representations of Data
- TACHS: Statistics & Data Analysis
- TACHS: Probability & Permutations
- TACHS: Properties of Functions
- TACHS: Graphing Functions
- TACHS: Factoring
- TACHS: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- TACHS: Linear Equations
- TACHS: Systems of Linear Equations
- TACHS: Mathematical Patterns
- TACHS: Mathematical Reasoning
- TACHS: Reasoning Abilities
- TACHS Flashcards