About This Chapter
Illinois TAP Language Arts: Writing Mechanics - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help you improve your writing through instruction in spelling and punctuation. Rules for the proper use of commas, capitalization and semicolons are covered in the video lessons, as are standard and unusual spelling rules. You'll learn the skills necessary to tackle writing questions on the Illinois TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Standard spellings of words
- Homonyms and homophones
- Commas: correct usage and basic rules
- Comma usage: avoiding confusion in clauses and contrasting sentence parts
- Punctuation: colons, semicolons and periods
- Identifying errors in punctuation
- Rules of capitalization
Gifted instructors will explain the spelling and punctuation rules you'll need in preparation for the test. You'll have fun learning these guidelines for effective writing, and the informative lessons will keep your attention as you master these skills.
Objectives of the Illinois TAP Language Arts: Writing Mechanics Course
The TAP Language Arts test assesses your knowledge of writing and grammar through 60 multiple-choice questions. The lesson topics in the Writing Mechanics chapter are a part of the TAP Language Arts exam, which is a requirement for teacher licensure in Illinois.
The TAP as a whole consists of 170 questions. There are four parts to the test: three sections of questions and one consisting of a writing assessment. Candidates for teacher licensure must pass all four parts.
1. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
2. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
3. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
4. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
5. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency (400): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Illinois TAP Test
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Vocabulary & Language
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Find the Main Idea & Supporting Details
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Inference & Interpretation
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Critical Reasoning
- Illinois TAP Reading: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- Illinois TAP Language Arts: Grammar
- Illinois TAP Writing: Understanding Audience
- Illinois TAP Writing: Development & Organization
- Illinois TAP Writing: Editing & Revision
- Illinois TAP Writing: Clarity
- Illinois TAP Writing: Practice
- Illinois TAP Math: Integers
- Illinois TAP Math: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Illinois TAP Math: Estimation & Measurement
- Illinois TAP Math: Reasoning Skills
- Illinois TAP Math: Algebra
- Illinois TAP Math: Geometry
- Illinois TAP Math: Data & Statistics
- ILTS TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency Flashcards