About This Chapter
Illinois TAP Math: Estimation and Measurement - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons will teach you to make conversions and solve problems involving U.S. and metric measurements as you prepare for the math portion of the Illinois TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency. You'll learn to use estimations in problem solving and also get information on scientific notation and dimensional analysis. The video lessons cover these topics:
- Problem solving using estimation skills
- Estimation problems using fractions
- Units and conversion using the metric system
- Unit conversion and dimensional analysis
- Significant figures and scientific notation
- Measurement with U.S. customary measures
Objectives of the Illinois TAP Math: Estimation and Measurement Course
The lessons in the TAP Math: Estimation and Measurement chapter will help you answer questions in the math portion of the TAP exam. You'll be tested on your knowledge of measurement, the use of estimation and familiarity with scientific notation.
Passing the TAP exam is mandatory for teacher licensing in Illinois. The TAP is divided into three sections with a total of 170 multiple-choice questions. There is also a writing section. You must pass all sections to obtain a teaching license. The questions based on estimation and measurement are in the TAP's math section, which has 50 questions. You can test your knowledge and get acquainted with the test style through the self-assessment quizzes found at the end of each video lesson.
1. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
2. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
3. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
4. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency (400): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Illinois TAP Test
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Vocabulary & Language
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Find the Main Idea & Supporting Details
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Inference & Interpretation
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Critical Reasoning
- Illinois TAP Reading: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- Illinois TAP Language Arts: Grammar
- Illinois TAP Language Arts: Writing Mechanics
- Illinois TAP Writing: Understanding Audience
- Illinois TAP Writing: Development & Organization
- Illinois TAP Writing: Editing & Revision
- Illinois TAP Writing: Clarity
- Illinois TAP Writing: Practice
- Illinois TAP Math: Integers
- Illinois TAP Math: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Illinois TAP Math: Reasoning Skills
- Illinois TAP Math: Algebra
- Illinois TAP Math: Geometry
- Illinois TAP Math: Data & Statistics
- ILTS TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency Flashcards