About This Chapter
Illinois TAP Reading: Summarizing & Interpreting Information - Chapter Summary
Our lessons can help you refresh your understanding of writing structure and information presentation. These brief videos will cover the following concepts:
- Structure of a written work
- Influence of structure upon meaning
- Organizing a passage's ideas into an outline
- Converting a written paragraph into a chart or table
- Creating a summary of a written work
- Understanding tables and graphs
Our videos each come with a multiple-choice quiz to help you test your understanding. The short videos each address a single concept. You can follow our chapter's order presentation if you wish. You can also jump back and forth to focus on the concepts in which you need the most review.
Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension Objectives
The Test of Academic Proficiency is required for all applicants who want to receive an Illinois professional educator license.
On the Reading Comprehension section of the Test of Academic Proficiency, you will find questions about summarizing and outlining written works. Your skill at understanding information presented in graphic form, such as charts or tables, will also be tested.
You might need to select an appropriate summary for a written passage. You could find yourself converting concepts into an outline or a table. Written passages on this test may be from the sciences, social sciences, arts or humanities. Some of them may be primary sources. The passages may be at the college level.
Summarizing and interpreting information is one of six main areas that the TAP will test in the Reading Comprehension section, which has 60 multiple-choice questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency (400): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Illinois TAP Test
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Vocabulary & Language
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Find the Main Idea & Supporting Details
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Inference & Interpretation
- Illinois TAP Reading Comprehension: Critical Reasoning
- Illinois TAP Language Arts: Grammar
- Illinois TAP Language Arts: Writing Mechanics
- Illinois TAP Writing: Understanding Audience
- Illinois TAP Writing: Development & Organization
- Illinois TAP Writing: Editing & Revision
- Illinois TAP Writing: Clarity
- Illinois TAP Writing: Practice
- Illinois TAP Math: Integers
- Illinois TAP Math: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Illinois TAP Math: Estimation & Measurement
- Illinois TAP Math: Reasoning Skills
- Illinois TAP Math: Algebra
- Illinois TAP Math: Geometry
- Illinois TAP Math: Data & Statistics
- ILTS TAP - Test of Academic Proficiency Flashcards