About This Chapter
TASC Math: Algebraic Distribution - Chapter Summary
This chapter should help clear up any confusion you've ever had on working with the distributive property thanks to our instructors' effective teaching style. Particular topics that you'll get to know better for the TASC Math test in this chapter include:
- Making the decision between distributing first or adding first
- How to distribute positive and negative signs
- Distributing a variable or a variable with an exponent
- Converting negative exponents to fractions
- Fractional powers
- Distribution involving two or more terms
The chapter's text resources have a fun look with subheadings and readily identified key terms to make them easy to follow. Use the practice quizzes to check your grasp of the text portions and videos throughout.
Objectives of the TASC Math: Algebraic Distribution Chapter
The majority of the questions on the TASC Math exam are multiple choice, though there are also some gridded-response, constructed-response and, for the computerized exam, technology-enhanced questions. This chapter aims to make you familiar with any question involving the distributive property in the exam's algebra content area. The algebra content area's questions make up 26% of the TASC Math test.
1. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
2. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
3. Distributing Positive and Negative Signs
It's not just numbers and variables that get distributed. Positive and negative signs can, too. In this lesson, we'll learn how to distribute positive and negative signs correctly.
4. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
5. Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions
A negative exponent isn't like a normal exponent. In this lesson, we'll learn about negative exponents and how they lead us to fractions. We'll practice with numbers and variables.
6. Working With Fractional Powers
If you know what to do with 3 to the second power, then you understand exponents. But what if the exponent is a fraction? Find out what to do with fractional powers in this lesson.
7. Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra
Once we've mastered distributing a single term, it's time to raise the stakes. In this lesson, we'll learn how about distribution involving two, three and even more terms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Math: Real Numbers
- TASC Math: Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review
- Intro to Algebraic Expressions
- Intro to Algebraic Equations
- TASC Math: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Square Roots
- TASC Math: Radical Expressions
- TASC Math: Functions
- TASC Math: Graphing and Functions
- Overview of Sequences
- TASC Math: Inequalities
- TASC Math: Linear Equations
- TASC Math: Factoring
- TASC Math: Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- TASC Math: Rational Expressions
- TASC Math: Measurement
- Lines, Angles & Arcs
- Shapes in Geometry
- Volume & Surface Area
- TASC Math: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- TASC Math: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Making Inferences & Justifying Conclusions in Math
- TASC Mathematics Flashcards