About This Chapter
TASC Math: Factoring - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter include a series of instructional videos that provide explanations and examples of factoring in algebra. These lessons can prepare you for questions on the TASC Math exam on the following:
- Algebra factoring
- Prime factorization
- Least common multiples
- Equivalent expressions
- Fraction notation
- Combining numbers and variables
- Transforming factoring
- Factoring by grouping
Each lesson includes a short educational video that includes graphics and real-world examples to teach you about factoring. The end-of-lesson assessment quizzes and chapter exam can also be used to test your comprehension and see what areas need a second look.
TASC Math: Factoring - Chapter Objectives
The TASC is a high school equivalency exam that, upon passing, shows that the test taker has the knowledge equivalent to that of a high school graduate. The TASC includes five subtests, one of which is in math. The TASC Math test includes 55 questions on topics related to numbers and quantity, algebra, geometry, functions and statistics. The algebra-related questions make up 26% of the test questions and may include questions on factoring. Most of the problems ask you to use algebraic rules to solve linear equations or compute algebraic expressions. You can use the example questions in this chapter to prepare for questions related to factoring on the TASC math exam.
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. Using Prime Factorizations to Find the Least Common Multiples
Finding the least common multiple can seem like a lot of work. But we can use prime factorization as a shortcut. Find out how and practice finding least common multiples in this lesson.
4. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
5. Using Fraction Notation: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
How do we add, subtract, multiply or divide with fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn how to use fraction notation correctly no matter what operation we're completing.
6. Factoring Out Variables: Instructions & Examples
Let's find the factors. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out numbers or variables from an expression. We'll even learn how to factor variables with exponents.
7. Combining Numbers and Variables When Factoring
With an expression, you know how to factor out a number, and you know how to factor out a variable. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out combined numbers and variables.
8. Transforming Factoring Into A Division Problem
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can factor a problem by turning it into a division problem. Learn how this actually helps you to factor and keep your numbers straight.
9. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Math: Real Numbers
- TASC Math: Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review
- Intro to Algebraic Expressions
- Intro to Algebraic Equations
- TASC Math: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Square Roots
- TASC Math: Radical Expressions
- TASC Math: Functions
- TASC Math: Graphing and Functions
- Overview of Sequences
- TASC Math: Inequalities
- TASC Math: Algebraic Distribution
- TASC Math: Linear Equations
- TASC Math: Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- TASC Math: Rational Expressions
- TASC Math: Measurement
- Lines, Angles & Arcs
- Shapes in Geometry
- Volume & Surface Area
- TASC Math: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- TASC Math: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Making Inferences & Justifying Conclusions in Math
- TASC Mathematics Flashcards