About This Chapter
Geometry - Chapter Summary
Watch the videos in this chapter to prepare for the geometry-related questions on the TASC Math test. The lessons provide an overview of the different types of shapes as well as their properties and mathematical formulas; some of the topics include:
- Points, lines and angles
- Properties of shapes
- Perimeters and area
- The Pythagorean Theorem
- Vertical and complementary angles
- Three-dimensional shapes
- Surface area of cubes, rectangle prism, cylinder and pyramid
This chapter is broken down into multiple lessons that focus on different topics within geometry. Each lesson includes a short video, transcript with key vocabulary terms and a multiple-choice quiz. There is also a chapter test that you can use to test your knowledge and figure out if you are ready to move on to the next chapter.
TASC Math Objectives
Similar to the GED and HiSET, the TASC is a high school equivalency exam that tests your knowledge in math, science, reading, writing and social studies. The math subtest is 105-115 minutes long and includes 55 questions; questions types include multiple-choice, gridded-response, constructed-response and technology-enhanced formats. The math exam is divided into two parts, and you can use a calculator on the first part. Geometry questions make up about 23% of the test. You can use this chapter to prepare for questions that relate to recognizing the properties of shapes and the use geometric formulas.
1. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
2. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
3. Vertical Angles & Complementary Angles: Definition & Examples
Special angles make your life easier. Learn how you can use the properties of special angles to help you find the measurements of missing angles in this video lesson.
4. Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles
Watch this video lesson to learn about geometric construction and how you can copy line segments and angles without using any numbers. All you need is a straight edge and a compass.
5. Circular Arcs and Circles: Definitions and Examples
What is a circle? In this lesson, find out all about the circle and its many parts, including circular arcs and semicircles. Also, discover how a locus works in creating a circle, parallel lines and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Mathematics: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Math: Real Numbers
- TASC Math: Complex and Imaginary Numbers Review
- Intro to Algebraic Expressions
- Intro to Algebraic Equations
- TASC Math: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Square Roots
- TASC Math: Radical Expressions
- TASC Math: Functions
- TASC Math: Graphing and Functions
- Overview of Sequences
- TASC Math: Inequalities
- TASC Math: Algebraic Distribution
- TASC Math: Linear Equations
- TASC Math: Factoring
- TASC Math: Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- TASC Math: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- TASC Math: Rational Expressions
- TASC Math: Measurement
- Shapes in Geometry
- Volume & Surface Area
- TASC Math: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- TASC Math: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Making Inferences & Justifying Conclusions in Math
- TASC Mathematics Flashcards