About This Chapter
TASC Science: Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer - Chapter Summary
Discover what happens during energy conservation and examine the energy transfer process through this chapter's thorough video lessons. The tutorials discuss the importance of the Big Bang Theory as well as thermal equilibrium and Helmholtz free energy. By watching these lessons, you can prepare to answer TASC Science examination questions with confidence. This chapter could help you to:
- Describe the two forms of mechanical energy
- Explain the first and second laws of thermodynamics as well as how they are applied
- Understand the process of thermal equilibrium and provide examples
- Learn about stability and the center of gravity
The online video lessons in this chapter will cover some of the material you'll encounter when you sit for the TASC Science examination. When you watch these video lessons, you'll benefit from the convenience of interactive study. If you have questions, submit them for clarification. You may also consult the accompanying written transcripts or pause the videos and watch a scene again. Each of the lessons is followed by a brief quiz that tests your comprehension.
TASC Science - Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer Objectives
Energy is a part of the physical sciences; therefore, the concepts you study in this chapter may be covered within the physical science section of the test, which makes up 36% of the overall test questions. You should be prepared to answer 48-49 multiple-choice, one constructed-response and one technology-enhanced (on the computer-based test only) questions on the 85-minute examination. You can take the examination on paper or utilize the computer-testing option.
1. Conservation of Mechanical Energy
Energy comes in many forms and for any system can never be created or destroyed. This holds true for mechanical energy, which also obeys this law of conservation of energy. In this video lesson, you'll explore how mechanical energy is converted or transferred between forms and objects.
2. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
3. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
4. Stability & Center of Gravity
Discover what stability means and why center of gravity is so important to understanding it. Then learn about the different states of stability and how to tell the difference between them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards