About This Chapter
TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems - Chapter Summary
The activities of this chapter have been put together to help you prepare for questions on the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) Science exam about the cycles of matter and energy transfers in ecosystems. Watch lesson videos of expert instructors as they explain the cycles of energy, phosphorus, nitrogen and carbon to gain a better understanding of:
- Food chains
- Trophic levels and energy flow
- Biogeochemical cycling
- Acid rain and fossil fuels
- Long-term carbon storage
If you become confused about any of the material presented in this chapter please send your questions to our instructors for clarification. To insure your retention of the information presented, complete the lesson quizzes to help find areas of weakness, and fortify these areas by returning to the lesson videos through the attached video tags. If you still feel you could benefit from an additional way of reviewing the material, try reading over the lesson transcripts that give a written overview of the information presented in the chapter.
TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems Objectives
TASC Science is a required subtest of the TASC test for individuals wanting to earn a high school equivalency credential. This exam is administered in both a computerized and paper-based format. It is composed of 48 multiple-choice (49 for the paper-based form), one constructed-response, one technology-enhanced (for the computer-based form) and 8 stimuli response questions. If you are taking the English version of this exam you will be given a 85 minutes testing session to complete these questions; 90 minutes is granted for the Spanish equivalent.
You can expect around 36% of these questions to be in the domain of Life Sciences, with at least two to five questions on ecosystems. Use the activities of this chapter to improve your understanding of the cycles of energy and matter in ecosystems so that you can accurately respond to these questions on test day.
1. Food Chains, Trophic Levels and Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
In this lesson, you'll learn about food chains, food webs, and the different roles that organisms play in an ecosystem. You'll also learn about how energy flows through an ecosystem.
2. Biogeochemical Cycling and the Phosphorus Cycle
In this video lesson, we'll take a look at how elements large and small use other elements to grow. This is achieved through cycles. We'll look at macronutrients, trace elements and the biogeochemical and phosphorous cycles.
3. The Nitrogen Cycle, Acid Rain and Fossil Fuels
Do you know the difference between nitrite and nitrate? Do you have any clue how all the nitrogen in the atmosphere becomes usable? If you can't answer these questions, then you need to watch this lesson on the nitrogen cycle.
4. The Carbon Cycle and Long-Term Carbon Storage
All living organisms have a role in the carbon cycle. Do you know you understand how humans, animals and plants use carbon? This lesson will introduce you to the carbon cycle and explain how it functions on a global scale.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards