About This Chapter
TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses factors that may adversely affect the environment and takes a look at some potential long-term solutions. Watch these educational online videos to explore the advantages of environmental accounting and to examine the importance of natural capital. Studying these and other concepts in this chapter can help you when it's time to take the TASC Science examination. Check out the videos for assistance with:
- Understanding environmental ethics and human values
- Discussing the process of environmental planning
- Discovering the benefits of environmental full cost accounting
- Understanding the relationship between economics and nature capital
- Examining future environmental concerns
Examine these topics in depth when you watch these online video lessons. They are taught by experienced instructors who will answer your questions on the subject matter. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn interactively; you can pause the lessons by using the video tags and also refer to the text transcripts if necessary. You'll also be able to measure your comprehension by taking the lesson quizzes.
TASC Science - Developing Environmental Solutions Objectives
Environmental science involves part life science and part physical science, both of which are included on the TASC Science examination. The topics that were explained in this chapter may be included in one or both sections. The Life Sciences section makes up 34% of the test questions and the Physical Sciences section makes up 33% of the test. The examination consists of 48-49 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response question that you must answer in 85 minutes or less. You can either sit for the paper version of the high school equivalency examination or take it by computer.
1. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
2. Environmental Planning & Decision Making: Definition & Components
Environmental planning and decision making take into consideration the needs of society and the natural environment when developing an area. Learn how environmental planning and decision making are carried out to create sustainable outcomes.
3. Environmental Full Cost Accounting: Definition & Example
Environmental full cost accounting recognizes the economic, environmental, health and social costs of an activity. In this lesson, learn why the use of environmental full cost accounting is important during the decision-making process.
4. Economics, Natural Capital & the Environment
Natural capital is the resources and services derived from nature that are of value to people. Learn why protecting natural capital is important for sustainable growth and economic development.
5. Future Environmental Concerns: Population, Food Supply, Energy & Pollution
There are many issues that raise future environmental concerns. Learn how the environment may be impacted by the growing population and food and energy needs of the world, as well as growing pollution concerns as we move through the 21st century.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards