About This Chapter
TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System - Chapter Summary
Prepare for questions related to Earth and the solar system on the TASC Science test with help from our online lessons and quizzes. The videos include topics related to:
- Kepler's laws of planetary motion and the eccentricity of ellipses
- Law of Universal Gravitation
- Effects of orbit and tilt on climate change
- Cycle of the seasons
This chapter includes multiple entertaining videos and self-assessment quizzes to teach and reinforce concepts related to the solar system. The transcripts include vocabulary terms to emphasize the major points, and the end-of-chapter test can be used to help you gauge your comprehension.
TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System Objectives
The TASC Science subtest includes a total of 58 questions on subjects that pertain to the physical, life, Earth and space sciences. The exam may use texts, maps, graphs, tables and figures to present the questions. You can use the lessons in this chapter to prepare for questions about our solar system. These questions are part of the Earth and space science content area, which makes up about 28% of the test questions. You will have 85-90 minutes to complete these questions.
1. Kepler's Three Laws of Planetary Motion
Find out about the interesting life and major contributions of Johannes Kepler. This lesson will also teach you how to find out how long it takes a planet to revolve around the sun!
2. Kepler's Laws, Ellipses, and Eccentricity
This lesson will discuss Kepler's First Law of Planetary Motion; define an ellipse, focus, major axis, semimajor axis, and eccentricity; and explain what they have to do with astronomy.
3. The Law of Universal Gravitation: Definition, Importance & Examples
Gravity is what pulls us toward Earth, but it's also what pulls Earth toward us. This is explained by the law of universal gravitation, which describes how all objects in the universe have this important force between them.
4. How Orbits Are Influenced by Gravity & Energy
This lesson will explain how potential energy, kinetic energy, speed, and gravity are linked to the orbital motion of planets in our solar system. It will also define aphelion and perihelion.
5. How Earth's Orbit & Tilt Impacts Climate Change
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain how the earth's orbital shape and tilt affects climate change. We'll explore both historical climate change and current global warming. A short quiz will follow.
6. The Cycle of the Seasons in Astronomy
This lesson will explain to you why the Earth has different seasons, what the equinoxes and solstices are, their names, and if the distance the Earth is from the Sun influences the seasons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards