About This Chapter
TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation - Chapter Summary
Discover the seven major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum and other topics related to electromagnetic radiation through the video and text lessons in this TASC Science test prep chapter. The content in this chapter includes:
- Sources and properties of electromagnetic waves
- The origin and spectrum of light
- Electromagnetic spectrum
- Wave-particle duality
- Blackbody radiation theory
- Photon energy and momentum
Our instructors highlight the major ideas associated with these topics in the short video lessons and supporting text transcripts. Use the video tags to easily reexamine any video portions as you see fit.
Objectives of the TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation Chapter
The TASC Science test measures your proficiency with major science content and is one component to attaining your high school equivalency credential. The test consists almost entirely of multiple-choice questions and is offered in paper and computerized formats. This Electromagnetic Radiation chapter helps you prepare specifically for the questions asked within the exam's physical sciences content domain. The physical sciences area as a whole makes up 36% of the questions on the TASC Science exam.
1. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
2. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
3. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
4. Wave-Particle Duality: Concept, Explanation & Examples
Is light a particle with mass and substance? Or, is it just a wave traveling through space? Most scientists say light is both a particle and a wave! Find out how they came to this strange conclusion as we learn about the theory of wave-particle duality.
5. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
6. Energy & Momentum of a Photon: Equation & Calculations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what wave-particle duality is, provide the equations for the energy and momentum of a photon of light, and use those equations to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards