About This Chapter
TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity - Chapter Summary
Refresh your knowledge of scientific evidence for evolution, and see how we account for species diversity as you plan for the TASC Science exam. Our videos can help you deal with questions on the following topics:
- Stating how paleontology, biogeography and embryology support the theory of evolution
- Identifying evidence for evolution in molecular biology and comparative anatomy
- Listing ways body structures are similar and also different across species lines
Our lessons are completely online, which means you can review information for the TASC Science exam anywhere you have access to a computer or a mobile device. You can study at your own pace, taking all the time you need to review these lessons and quizzes.
Objectives of the TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity Chapter
The TASC Science exam is a high school equivalency test that assesses if you have met performance standards in the subject. Material covered in this Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity chapter is part of the TASC exam's testing of the core idea of biological evolution. This concept is listed as an area of high emphasis for the test and will have 2-5 questions within the life science subject area; this subject area makes up 36% of the test questions.
Most of the questions on the TASC Science exam are multiple choice; there is also one constructed-response question. The quizzes that accompany our lessons are also multiple choice, meaning they offer an excellent means of getting experience in this type of test. The quizzes also present an opportunity to see in what areas you may need additional study before taking the TASC exam.
1. Evidence for Evolution: Paleontology, Biogeography, Embryology, Comparative Anatomy & Molecular Biology
There is much support for the theory of evolution. This evidence comes from a variety of scientific fields and provides information that helps us trace changes in species over time. In this lesson, we'll look at this evidence and explore how it supports the theory of evolution.
2. Homologous Structures: Comparison of Body Structures Across Species
Did you know that you share the same structures as a monkey? Okay, you may have guessed that, but what about a whale or a bat? Learn about similarities in bone and muscle structure in this lesson that covers body shape across species.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards