About This Chapter
TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation - Chapter Summary
This chapter presents a series of brief, engaging videos that provide an overview of the IT concepts and instruments that could pop up on the TASC Science assessment. Lessons explore:
- Photovoltaic solar cells
- Solar thermal electric generation
- Telecommunications systems
- The science behind cellular and wireless devices
- Communications and positioning satellites
- Storage of virtual data
Each lesson is followed by a short quiz so you can test yourself on the equipment, applications, and sciences covered in the videos. Check out the video transcripts for an additional look at the ideas you feel shaky about. Don't hesitate to ask our instructors for help.
Objectives of the TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation Chapter
This chapter is a great toolbox for students needing to study IT concepts for the TASC Science assessment. Short, entertaining lessons make it easy to find time to study, and lesson quizzes let you get meaningful practice using the ideas. The TASC Science test is 85-90 minutes in length (depending on what language you take it in) and includes multiple-choice and constructed-response questions. The computer-based format also includes one technology-enhanced question. The test content is designed to evaluate your abilities in three scientific areas: physical, life, and Earth/space science.
1. What Are Solar Panels? - Photovoltaic Solar Cells and Solar Thermal Electric Generation
How do devices take advantage of the sun's abundant energy? Learn about photovoltaic solar cells and solar thermal electric generation and how these technologies can be used to convert solar energy into heat and electricity.
2. The Components of a Telecommunications System
Telecommunication is communication at a distance using electrical signals or electromagnetic waves. Learn about the components and properties of telecommunication systems.
3. Communication & Wireless Computing Devices: GPS, PDA, Cellular & Satellite
A large number of different devices use wireless communications networks. Learn about the different types of devices and which communication signals they use.
4. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
Let's explore the capacity of internal and external storage devices. We'll learn how optical, magnetic and semiconductor storage works, as well as identify some examples of storage devices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science Flashcards