About This Chapter
TASC Science: Natural Hazards - Chapter Summary
The causes and formation of hurricanes, cyclones and thunderstorms are some of the topics covered in this chapter to help you prepare for the TASC Science test. The Natural Hazards chapter covers the effects of natural events on habitats as well as the types, causes and effects of:
- Volcanic hazards
The key topics in this chapter are broken down in the short, effective video lessons. After your initial review of the videos you can jump around to particular segments for another look with the video tags.
Objectives of the TASC Science: Natural Hazards Chapter
The TASC Science exam is written with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) in mind to assess your knowledge for a high school equivalency credential. The test targets your content knowledge across three major areas, including the Earth and space science section that includes the topics found within this chapter. The whole Earth and space science subarea makes up 28% of the exam and includes primarily multiple-choice questions. You'll have a total of 85 minutes to complete this test.
1. How Natural Events Change Habitats
Natural events, like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, landslides and floods, can be very powerful and destructive. In this lesson, we will see firsthand how they can change human and wildlife habitats in both damaging and helpful ways.
2. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
3. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
4. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
5. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
6. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
7. Volcanic Hazards & Prevention: Landslides, Lahars & Tsunamis
Volcanic hazards are any volcanic process that can damage property or threaten life. Learn about volcanic hazards, such as landslides that can trigger lahars and tsunamis, and ways to prevent these hazards from threatening people's lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards