About This Chapter
TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the natural selection and adaptation concepts you can expect to find on the TASC Science assessment by watching these short, mobile-accessible video lessons. This chapter investigates the following ideas:
- Darwin's theory of evolution
- Natural selection and adaptation processes
- Classifications of natural selection
- Effects on phenotype
- Why there is no effect on genotype
- Convergent evolution
The lesson quizzes present you with situations to analyze and problems to consider to boost your retention of basic evolutionary ideas. If you feel shaky about any of the concepts, take a look at the video transcripts for a second look. You can also ask our instructors for help.
Objectives of the TASC Science: Natural Selection & Adaptation Chapter
About a third of the TASC Science test is devoted to questions about life sciences. Use these videos on natural selection and adaptation to master some of the evolutionary and biology concepts you're likely to bump into on that portion of the exam. As an additional bonus, the lesson quizzes mimic the TASC format and allow you to introduce yourself to the question styles on the computer-administered test.
You'll be allowed 75-80 minutes to work through the 55 tasks on the assessment. In addition to life sciences, you will also be tested on physical sciences and Earth/space sciences.
1. Theories of Evolution: Lamarck vs. Darwin
We'll look at the interplay between population genetics and environment. Are traits individually acquired or do entire populations evolve? The flying hamsters and a few other notable experiments will provide the answers.
2. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
3. Natural Selection: Definition, Types & Examples
We'll take a look at the types of natural selection that can occur. From flying hamsters to moths, you'll start to grasp the different paths organisms can take as they respond to their changing environments over time.
4. Why Natural Selection Acts on Phenotype, Not Genotype
Evolution works through the mechanism of natural selection. This mechanism influences the genetic make-up of populations, acting on the population's physical traits. In this lesson, we'll explore examples of why this is.
5. What Is Convergent Evolution?
It can be difficult to tell whether species are related just by looking at them. Organisms look and act the way they do because of ancestry, but similarities also arise because of similar environmental roles, as is the case with convergent evolution.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TASC Science: Prep and Practice course
- TASC Science: Structure & Function of Living Things
- TASC Science: Growth & Development of Organisms
- TASC Science: Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- TASC Science: Interdependence in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- TASC Science: Ecosystem Dynamics, Functioning & Resilience
- TASC Science: Social Interactions & Group Behavior
- TASC Science: Biodiversity & Humans
- TASC Science: Developing Environmental Solutions
- TASC Science: Gene Inheritance
- TASC Science: Variation of Traits
- TASC Science: Evidence of Common Ancestry & Diversity
- TASC Science: The Universe & Its Stars
- TASC Science: Earth & the Solar System
- TASC Science: Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- TASC Science: Radiometric Dating
- TASC Science: Earth Materials & Systems
- TASC Science: Water & Earth's Surface Processes
- TASC Science: Weather & Climate
- TASC Science: Natural Resources
- TASC Science: Natural Hazards
- TASC Science: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- TASC Science: Structure & Properties of Matter
- TASC Science: Chemical Reactions
- TASC Science: Nuclear Processes
- TASC Science: Forces & Motion
- TASC Science: Types of Interactions
- TASC Science: Types of Energy
- TASC Science: Conservation of Energy & Energy Transfer
- TASC Science: Wave Properties
- TASC Science: Electromagnetic Radiation
- TASC Science: Information Technologies & Instrumentation
- TASC Science Flashcards