About This Chapter
Teaching Alice Walker Books & Poems - Chapter Summary
If you need to plan a series of lessons on Alice Walker's books and poems, then this teacher resource chapter is for you. Containing a handful of lesson plan outlines, this chapter is designed to help you quickly create lessons on the life and work of author Alice Walker, as well as her famous novel, The Color Purple.
In addition to the lesson plan outlines, you'll find supplemental lessons that you can share with your students during class. These lessons also come with short quizzes to help you evaluate your students' comprehension of important literary concepts. You can access the chapter at any time using your computer or mobile device.
How It Helps
- Lesson planning: Offers you a quick and easy way to plan lessons about Alice Walker books and poems
- Easy access: Allows you to plan Alice Walker lessons on any device that has an Internet connection
- Additional resources: Includes topical lessons that you can share with your students to reinforce their literature knowledge
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Alice Walker lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Alice Walker topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your literature class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related literature lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Alice Walker books and poems from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant literature-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Alice Walker Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students get acquainted with the life and work of Alice Walker before recognizing the themes of her work in poetry. Students then translate the ideas and themes they've discovered using a different medium.
2. Alice Walker: Biography, Books & Poetry
Alice Walker is a celebrated African-American author, poet, and activist whose writings have won many literary awards. This lesson will introduce you to her background, notable books and poems.
3. The Color Purple Lesson Plan
How well did your students comprehend Alice Walker's 'The Color Purple?' An in-class activity assessing comprehension is supported and refined by the help of a text lesson. Related lessons and extensions support ongoing study.
4. Alice Walker's The Color Purple: Summary & Quotes
The Color Purple is about Celie and her life over several decades at the turn of the 20th century. After reading the lesson, test your knowledge with a short quiz.
5. Everyday Use Discussion Questions
'Everyday Use' by Alice Walker is a short story about family conflict, race, and the generation gap. This asset contains classroom discussion questions about this story.
6. The Color Purple Discussion Questions
Teachers use these discussion questions to demonstrate students' understanding of the ''Color Purple'' by Alice Walker. Students will also be able to explore and share their personal beliefs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the American Literature Resources for Teachers course
- Classic American Literature Lesson Plans
- Early 20th Century American Literature Lesson Plans
- African-American Authors Lesson Plans
- Classic American Literature Essay Topics
- Teaching Literature About Colonial America
- Contemporary American Literature Lesson Plans
- Contemporary American Literature Essay Topics
- Literature of Latin America Lesson Plans
- Teaching Toni Morrison Books
- Dreaming in Cuban Lesson Plans & Resources