About This Chapter
Teaching Base 10 & Fractions - Chapter Summary
In this helpful chapter, our instructors present topics related to teaching fractions and base 10. Lesson topics include base 10 blocks, using the number line to compare different kinds of numbers, and strategies for teaching students to compare and order numbers. To ensure you're keeping up, take the short quiz that accompanies each lesson. You're welcome to access these study materials 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer for completely flexible study. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Use a place value chart in the classroom
- Help your students solve multi-digit arithmetic using place value strategies
- Assist students in adding and subtracting mixed numbers and like fractions
- Multiply and divide mixed numbers and fractions
- Model fraction equivalents with fraction strips
- Teach fraction operations and proportional reasoning
- Convert and calculate fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Perform decimal operations and use methods to successfully teach them
- Explain the real-world applications for decimals and fractions
1. What are Base 10 Blocks?
Sometimes it can be hard to visualize what numbers look like. Base 10 blocks were created to help students see what numbers look like and understand their value. In this lesson, you will learn all about base 10 blocks and how they are used.
2. Teaching Strategies for Comparing & Ordering Numbers
Learning about ordering and comparing numbers is a basis for understanding all other mathematics. In this lesson, we will explore memory devices and other strategies to teach students about the relationships between values.
3. Using a Place Value Chart in the Classroom
Learning how our decimal number system works is the beginning of building a solid mathematical base of knowledge, and the place value chart is a powerful tool for teaching students about our number system. In this lesson, we will discuss how to use the place value chart for a variety of activities.
4. Place Value Strategies for Solving Multi-Digit Arithmetic
In this lesson, you'll learn some strategies based on place values that will make solving math problems easier and faster. You'll see how these strategies work for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
5. Performing Basic Operations with Fractions
You probably know how to perform basic operations for whole numbers, but do you know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions? This lesson introduces you to the rules for basic operations with fractions.
6. How to Model Fraction Equivalents with Fraction Strips
Fraction strips are a great tool to help teachers show students equivalent fractions. In this lesson, we go over how to make fraction strips, as well as how to incorporate their use in the classroom for both like and unlike denominators.
7. Teaching Fraction Operations: Methods & Manipulatives
Fractions are part of everyday life. Being able to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions are important skills. In this lesson, we will discuss various methods to help students work with fractions.
8. How to Teach Proportional Reasoning: Strategy & Activities
Proportional reasoning can be a difficult concept for students, and even for some adults! In this lesson, we will investigate strategies and activities that can assist the teacher when teaching proportional reasoning.
9. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
10. Performing Operations with Decimals
Decimals are used to represent parts of a whole and are very useful in many types of measurements and calculations. In this lesson, learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals.
11. Teaching Decimal Operations: Methods & Manipulatives
Decimal values are a consistent part of the real world. It is important to get students comfortable with decimals early on in their education. In this lesson, we will discuss various ways to teach decimals.
12. Fractions & Decimals: Real World Applications
Dealing with fractions and decimals is part of our daily lives. It is for this reason everyone needs to understand decimals and fractions. In this lesson, we discuss real world examples of decimals and fractions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 211: Teaching Elementary Math course
- Understanding Math Standards
- Developing Math Curriculum
- Planning Math Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for Math Teachers
- Creating Math Learning Environments
- Assessments for Teaching Math
- Educational Resources for Teaching Math
- Counting & Cardinality in the Classroom
- Teaching Mathematical Operations
- Algebraic Thinking in the Classroom
- Teaching Standard & Metric Measurements
- Teaching Time & Money
- Teaching Geometry Basics
- Geometric Measurements in the Classroom
- Teaching the Coordinate Plane
- Teaching Graphical Data Identification