About This Chapter
Teaching Beverly Cleary Books - Chapter Summary
The lessons of this chapter will provide you with a brief overview of some of the children's books written by Beverly Cleary and the themes she wrote into them. It also includes example lesson plans and activities you can use with your students as you teach them new reading and comprehension skills. The works covered in this chapter include:
- Ramona the Pest
- Ramona the Brave
- Ramona & Her Father
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8
- Henry Huggins
- Henry & Ribsy
- The Mouse & the Motorcycle
- Runaway Ralph
- Ralph S. Mouse
- Dear Dr. Henshaw
- Muggie Maggie
How It Helps
- Encourages reading comprehension: In this chapter, you will be provided with techniques to improve and ensure your students' comprehension of various books.
- Improves lesson plans: Some of these lessons will provide you will example lesson plans you may use to improve your current lesson plans.
- Promotes student participation: A few of these lessons will provide you with new ideas about how to increase student participation through story related activities.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Assemble lesson plans for books authored by Beverly Cleary
- Ask your students questions to determine how well they understand aspects of specific books
- Improve student participation with story related activities
1. Ramona the Pest Comprehension Questions
Teachers, ''Ramona the Pest'' is a fun book that teaches students about the consequences of their actions. This lesson is categorized by chapter, and includes discussion questions to confirm students comprehended the reading.
2. Ramona the Brave Comprehension Questions
Guide learning and assess understanding of the novel ''Ramona the Brave'' with these comprehension questions focusing on key literary elements such as plot, setting and characters.
3. Ramona & Her Father Comprehension Questions
This lesson contains higher-order reading comprehension questions based on the book Ramona and Her Father written by Beverly Cleary. You can use these questions in your classroom to test students' understanding of this book.
4. Ramona Quimby, Age 8 Comprehension Questions
Teachers, utilize this lesson to confirm your students read the book and activate their critical thinking and analysis skills. This lesson may be used in a traditional classroom or an online environment.
5. Ramona Quimby, Age 8 Activities
''Ramona Quimby, Age 8'' explores a little girl's first day of 3rd grade. This lesson provides classroom activities to help students understand Ramona's experiences and correlate them to their own experiences and opinions.
6. Henry Huggins Comprehension Questions
Teachers, utilize this lesson to ensure your students read the book. Assign the critical thinking questions to further probe their interest and increase critical thinking skills.
7. Henry Huggins Lesson Plan
Beverly Cleary novels like Henry Huggins are a great teaching tool for your students. Use this lesson plan to guide your students through the process of summarizing, then take a peek into other Cleary classics from the series. Finish with a hands-on activity.
8. Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary: Summary & Series
This lesson will summarize one of Beverly Cleary's most popular books,''Henry Huggins.'' It will also discuss the other five books Cleary wrote about the main character, Henry, and his many adventures.
9. Henry & Ribsy Comprehension Questions
A struggling reader herself, Beverly Cleary overcame obstacles to become one of the most prolific children's authors in the last century. This lesson will provide higher-order comprehension questions for one of her most popular books: ''Henry and Ribsy''.
10. The Mouse and the Motorcycle Comprehension Questions
Teachers, utilize this lesson focused on 'The Mouse and the Motorcycle' to ensure students' comprehension in-class or online. Assign 'It's All About What You Think' questions to further enhance their critical thinking skills.
11. The Mouse & The Motorcycle Comprehension Questions
Teaching with Beverly Cleary books is a smart way to introduce young readers to comprehension skills. This lesson provides questions for The Mouse and the Motorcycle that determine important literary elements like plot points, characters, and setting.
12. Runaway Ralph Comprehension Questions
Teachers, utilize this lesson to ensure students read the book. Assign It's All About What You Think questions to further probe their comprehension and challenge their critical thinking skills.
13. Ralph S. Mouse Comprehension Questions
This lesson will provide two sets of questions to give students reading 'Ralph S. Mouse.' The first is to ensure students comprehended the book. The second further probes their critical thinking skills.
14. The Mouse and the Motorcycle Activities for Kids
Beverly Cleary's book, 'The Mouse and the Motorcycle', is a great story about the friendship between a boy and a mouse. Written for middle elementary readers, the book lends itself to several fun and interesting activities to keep students engaged.
15. Dear Mr. Henshaw Lesson Plan
Are your students reading the beloved novel 'Dear Mr. Henshaw?' Teach and reinforce the skill of inferring and test students' comprehension. Included are a summary of Leigh's letters and journal entries and an explanation of the writing style. Guide learning with questioning, then apply with an activity.
16. Dear Mr. Henshaw Summary
Beverly Cleary's novel 'Dear Mr. Henshaw' is the story of the unlikely friendship between Leigh Botts and his favorite author Mr. Henshaw. Through a series of letters and journal entries, we watch this relationship form.
17. Dear Mr. Henshaw Comprehension Questions
Asking guiding questions before, during, and after reading is a smart way to engage students with comprehension. This lesson outlines questions on varying levels focusing on plot, characters, and setting.
18. Dear Mr. Henshaw Activities
Reinforce skills and connect learning topics, by using these fun activities, as you read the novel Dear Mr. Henshaw. These activities are for students on all levels using materials you already have in your classroom.
19. Dear Mr. Henshaw Discussion Questions
'Dear Mr. Henshaw' is a Newberry Award-winning children's book by Beverly Cleary about a boy's letters to his favorite author over a four-year period. This asset provides discussion questions about this book.
20. Muggie Maggie Comprehension Questions
Reading the Beverly Cleary novel Muggie Maggie with students? Then this lesson is perfect for you! It provides comprehension questions to accompany the book that assess important elements such as main plot points, characters, and setting.
21. Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary Activities
'Henry Huggins' is a fun book written by Beverly Cleary about a boy and a dog. Students will have a great time reading about Henry's adventures with Ribsy. Use the activities below to make learning even more fun.
22. Henry and Ribsy Activities
'Henry and Ribsy' is an exciting book by Beverley Cleary about the adventures of a boy and his dog. Use the activities below to make reading this book even more fun for students.
23. Muggie Maggie Activities
'Muggie Maggie' is an endearing book by Beverly Cleary about a girl who refuses to learn cursive. Use the activities in this asset to help make an already fun book even more interesting for young readers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Famous Children's Authors Lesson Plans course
- Teaching Eric Carle Books
- Ezra Jack Keats Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Patricia Polacco Books
- Dr. Seuss Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Kevin Henkes Books
- Teaching Books by Marc Brown
- Teaching Cynthia Rylant Books
- Judy Blume Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Pam Munoz Ryan Books
- Teaching Books by Jan Brett
- Books by Jean Craighead George Lesson Plans
- Gary Paulsen Books Lesson Plans & Activities
- Roald Dahl Books Lesson Plans
- Jerry Spinelli Books Lesson Plans
- Louis Sachar Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Peg Kehret Books
- Teaching Leo Lionni Books