About This Chapter
Teaching Books by Jan Brett - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a variety of children's literature lesson planning resources on several Jan Brett books. The chapter's mobile-friendly format allows you to consult these simple lesson plan outlines wherever and whenever it's convenient. The lesson plan outlines cover the following Jan Brett books:
- The Hat
- Gingerbread Baby
- The Umbrella
- The Easter Egg
- Three Snow Bears
- Trouble with Trolls
- Home for Christmas
- Gingerbread Friends
- Christmas Trolls
- Town Mouse Country Mouse
How It Helps
- Lesson planning: Ensures that your Jan Brett book lessons cover essential information about her stories and characters.
- Additional resources: Includes engaging supplemental lessons that you can share with your literature students before class discussions.
- Mobile-friendly format: These resources are accessible on any computer or mobile device, which lets you plan lessons at home and integrate the additional resources in your classroom.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Jan Brett book lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Jan Brett books you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your literature class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related children's literature lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Jan Brett books and characters from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant literature-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. The Hat by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
In the book ''The Hat,'' by Jan Brett, a cute little hedgehog decides to use a little girl's lost stocking as a hat. In this lesson, we will discover all of the funny things that happen as a result. Then we will act out the story using stick puppets.
2. Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
This lesson plan on ''Gingerbread Baby'' by Jan Brett may be implemented to answer questions about a story, summarize a story, and compare similar stories while reading ''Gingerbread Baby'' by Jan Brett.
3. The Umbrella by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
This lesson plan on ''The Umbrella'' by Jan Brett may be implemented to teach students to answer questions about a story, discuss the parts of a story, and learn about the animals of the rainforest.
4. The Easter Egg by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
'The Easter Egg' by Jan Brett is a unique and engaging tale about Easter eggs. This lesson plan will help you familiarize students with the book and includes an activity that allows for creative expression that reinforces content introduced in the book.
5. Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses Jan Brett's ''Three Snow Bears'' to learn about setting, and then teaches the skills of comparing and contrasting using other versions of the Goldilocks story. The lesson includes a setting project and an optional writing extension.
6. Trouble with Trolls by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
How does one protect their dog from a troll? ''Trouble with Trolls'' by Jan Brett answers this question. This lesson plan introduces the book to students and ends with a fun game.
7. The Mitten Lesson Plan
Teach students about story elements such as character using the book 'The Mitten' and this lesson plan. A shared reading outlining story elements launches the lesson, followed by a read aloud and guided learning. Students apply concepts in a fun activity.
8. Home for Christmas by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
In ''Home for Christmas,'' Rollo, a naughty troll, refuses to help his family with household chores. However, through a number of learning experiences provided by animals on his mountain, Rollo learns his lesson and returns home...in time for Christmas.
9. Gingerbread Friends by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
'Gingerbread Friends' by Jan Brett tells the story of a lonely gingerbread baby. This lesson plan will help you to present the book to student and includes an activity to give them the chance to create their own gingerbread friend.
10. The Wild Christmas Reindeer Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses 'The Wild Christmas Reindeer' to teach students about how characters' points of view can differ in a story. The lesson plan includes whole class and small group work with a writing and presentation component.
11. Christmas Trolls by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
This lesson plan may be used to help your students answer questions about a story, use illustrations to tell a story, and differentiate between basic story elements while reading ''Christmas Trolls'' by Jan Brett.
12. Town Mouse Country Mouse by Jan Brett Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is designed to teach students about ''Town Mouse Country Mouse'' by Jan Brett. Students will answer questions, retell the story, and compare the characters and settings within the story.
13. The Mitten Activities
'The Mitten' is a book by Jan Brett for lower elementary learners. Use the activities in this asset to bring this book to life and to help students make connections and pull meaning from the story.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Famous Children's Authors Lesson Plans course
- Teaching Eric Carle Books
- Ezra Jack Keats Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Patricia Polacco Books
- Dr. Seuss Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Kevin Henkes Books
- Teaching Books by Marc Brown
- Teaching Beverly Cleary Books
- Teaching Cynthia Rylant Books
- Judy Blume Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Pam Munoz Ryan Books
- Books by Jean Craighead George Lesson Plans
- Gary Paulsen Books Lesson Plans & Activities
- Roald Dahl Books Lesson Plans
- Jerry Spinelli Books Lesson Plans
- Louis Sachar Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Peg Kehret Books
- Teaching Leo Lionni Books