About This Chapter
Teaching Diverse English Language Learners - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will find lessons that discuss specific ELL strategies used for special education students, students with learning disabilities, refugees, gifted students and individuals who lack a formal education. You will review the characteristics of each type of student and the strategies that are most effectively used to teach them ELL concepts.
In addition, you can learn more about the specific types of special needs and requirements of these diverse learners. After you are done with this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand special populations of ELL students and the factors that impact their achievement
- Apply instructional strategies for students with interrupted formal education (SIFE)
- Use teaching methods addressing the needs of refugees and traumatized individuals
- Identify students with learning disabilities and use strategies to teach ELL concepts to these students
- Employ teaching strategies for special needs students
- Teach ELL skills to gifted students
Access these lessons at all times, from any device, or print transcripts to use as study materials. Use online contact forms to ask instructors lesson-specific questions. Track your progress through the chapter using your handy Dashboard and self-assessment quizzes that determine what you have retained from each lesson.
1. Special Populations of English Language Learners
In your career as a teacher, you will encounter students from all walks of life. In this lesson, learn about some of the special populations of English Language Learners (ELL) students you may have in your class, the challenges they face, and the best ways to help them learn.
2. Strategies for Teaching ELL Students with Interrupted Formal Education
You probably have a few students in your ELL class who have not had continuity in their education due to different factors. This lesson provides basic guidelines for teaching these students.
3. Strategies for Teaching Refugees & Traumatized English Language Learners
Unfortunately, some students have gone through terrible life events. With the right tools, you can help the student feel safe, comfortable and prepared to learn.
4. Identifying & Teaching ELL Students with Learning Disabilities
English language learners without learning disabilities struggle because of language limitations. Those who have a learning disability struggle even more. This lesson discusses the identification and teaching approach as you walk through a practical example.
5. Instructional Strategies for ELL Students with Special Education Needs
English Language Learners (ELLs) with special education needs cannot progress like average ELLs in developing English fluency. This lesson gives you some strategies with examples to assist ELLs with special needs.
6. Strategies for Teaching Gifted ELL Students
Teaching gifted students can be rewarding, but it can also pose unique challenges. In this lesson, teachers are provided strategies and methods specifically designed for use when teaching gifted ELLs (English Language Learners).
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Indiana Core Assessments English Learners: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Components of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Language Acquisition & Literacy Development in Indiana Classrooms
- Cultural Concepts for Indiana Classrooms
- Culturally Inclusive Teaching
- Teacher-to-Student Communication
- ELL Instructional Practices for Indiana
- Scientific & Evidence-Based Literacy Instruction
- EL Instructional Resources
- Assessment of English Learners in Indiana
- Professional Knowledge & Growth for Indiana ESL Teachers
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL