About This Chapter
Teaching Heart of Darkness - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have designed this chapter to provide you with the teaching resources you need as you get ready to teach your students about Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Some of the topics addressed in this chapter include:
- Creating in-class activities that connect the students with the book
- How to design study questions to encourage analysis of the text
- Building lesson plans that address the literary context of the novel
How It Helps
- Inspires new ideas: You'll get to review different approaches to this classic text, encouraging you to rethink how to teach this book.
- Provides a strong jumping-off point: If you have never taught Conrad's work, these teacher resources give you a place to start and a plan you can work with.
- Increases student understanding: Instead of watching your students struggle with the novel, use these tools to help them better understand the themes, characters, and other elements.
At the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Integrate poignant discussion questions into your lectures about the text
- Implement games and activities that help students understand more about the novel
- Construct useful study questions to prepare students for exams
- Make Heart of Darkness lesson plans that motivate your students
1. Heart of Darkness Lesson Plan
Heart of Darkness is one of the more challenging books your students will read in class. This lesson plan, which uses an active reading strategy, small group discussions, and a debate, will help them understand the book's plot and themes.
2. Heart of Darkness Discussion Questions
This lesson will include some discussion questions related to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. These will be divided by topic, and some will include a brief note, in order to better expand the intended discussion.
3. Heart of Darkness Study Questions
This lesson will include some points of study in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. They will be organized by themes, and some will include a brief explanation and expansion of the point's details, to better inform and educate.
4. Heart of Darkness Activities
The ''Heart of Darkness'', while fictional, examines factual historical events. These activities will allow students to explore the 19th century while identifying important geography and completing character analyses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.