About This Chapter
Teaching John Steinbeck Books and Stories - Chapter Summary
If you're currently teaching a middle or high school literature course, it's likely that you're going to introduce students to the works of John Steinbeck. The lessons and lesson plans comprising this chapter focus on two of Steinbeck's most popular works: the short novel Of Mice and Men and the short story 'Johnny Bear'. Use brief and easy-to-follow lessons to give your students an overview of the themes, styles and characters of these works, then further help them understand these topics by using the writing assignments and discussion topics in the lesson plans to facilitate their learning experience.
How It Helps
- Learning objectives: Helps you to achieve objectives of teaching your students about literary elements such as theme, setting, character analysis and plot.
- Curriculum standards: Ensures your study of these John Steinbeck works meets literacy curriculum standards.
- Student engagement: Provides ways in which students can take different approaches to studying these works that will keep them interested and participating in the classroom.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to making planning John Steinbeck books and stories lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific John Steinbeck books and stories you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your literature class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related John Steinbeck books and stories lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important aspects of John Steinbeck books and stories from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant Of Mice and Men and 'Johnny Bear' activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. East of Eden Lesson Plan
Teachers, this lesson provides a thorough review and analysis of 'East of Eden.' Students will participate in a reading activity, discussion questions, create a skit and take two quizzes to demonstrate what they've learned.
2. East of Eden: Themes & Analysis
This lesson describes the most important themes at play in John Steinbeck's epic novel, ''East of Eden''. The lesson also presents a brief analysis of the novel and its significance.
3. East of Eden: Summary & Characters
John Steinbeck's novel ~'East of Eden~' is an American classic with an easy-going cadence despite its heavy storyline. The intricate plot and cast of characters can sometimes be confusing, but this lesson will lay things on the line so you can keep them straight. Read on for plot summary and character clarification.
4. Of Mice and Men: Summary and Analysis of Steinbeck's Style
John Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men' is one of the most enduring American stories of friendship. Watch this video lesson to learn about its characters, main plot events and key themes.
5. Of Mice & Men Essential Questions
This lesson will provide essential questions from the Steinbeck classic that will require students weigh evidence, support their ideas, and stimulate on-going rethinking of big ideas, assumptions, and prior lessons.
6. Johnny Bear by John Steinbeck Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help deepen your students' understanding of 'Johnny Bear' by John Steinbeck. In it, you will find a text lesson to guide students through summarizing the story and identifying themes before they apply concepts to an activity.
7. Johnny Bear by John Steinbeck: Summary & Themes
'Johnny Bear' is a short story written by iconic American author John Steinbeck in 1938. This clever and somewhat disturbing narrative explores the dual themes of secrets and impossibly high standards of behavior.
8. The Pearl Pre-Reading Activities
''The Pearl'' by John Steinbeck is the story of a pearl diver and his family, and how greed and a lack of education can ruin your life. This lesson focuses on pre-reading activities for this novella.
9. John Steinbeck Lesson Plan
Educate your students about legendary American author John Steinbeck with this lesson plan. Students will study a text lesson and view a video lesson, participate in two activities, and take two related follow-up quizzes.
10. John Steinbeck: Biography, Quotes & Facts
This lesson will provide a biography of John Steinbeck (1902-1968), one of the most accomplished American authors of the mid-twentieth century, and feature some of his own words from his most famous works.
11. Of Mice and Men Lesson Plan
Enhance your students' analysis of the book Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck by including our Study.com video lesson with your instruction. Broaden your students' literacy analysis skills with the in-class discussion questions and activities.
12. Of Mice and Men Unit Plan
John Steinbeck's ''Of Mice and Men'' has mature themes and lots of emotion. Teaching this novella to high school students can be daunting. This unit plan explores historical context and themes through interactive lesson plans and activities.
13. Of Mice and Men Project Ideas
'Of Mice and Men' is a novella written by John Steinbeck that takes place during the time of the Great Depression. Use the projects below to help students develop a full understanding of both the story and the lessons within.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Famous Authors Lesson Plans & Teaching Resources course
- Teaching Jane Austen Books
- Teaching Charles Dickens Books
- Teaching William Faulkner Books & Stories
- Edgar Allan Poe Lesson Plans
- Teaching Mark Twain Books
- Teaching Stephen Crane Books
- Teaching George Orwell Books
- Teaching Ray Bradbury Books & Stories
- Teaching Jack London Books & Stories
- Teaching Kurt Vonnegut Books & Stories