About This Chapter
Teaching Kevin Henkes Books - Chapter Summary
Our interesting chapter contains lesson plans you can use to successfully teach Kevin Henkes books to your students. The titles covered by these lesson plans include Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Jessica and more. These resources are written by professional instructors, so you can have confidence that what you're teaching is accurate and meets the necessary educational criteria. You can access these tools 24 hours a day to study when it works best for you.
How It Helps
- Includes multiple titles: With several titles by Kevin Henkes included in this chapter, you'll have a variety of material to incorporate into your curriculum.
- Provides help if needed: At any time when reviewing this chapter, feel free to contact one of our professional instructors with any questions that you might have.
- Simplifies planning: Rather than creating and researching your own lesson plans, the plans in this chapter will save you time by being immediately ready to plug into your curriculum.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning Kevin Henkes book lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for Kevin Henkes book topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your reading class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related Kevin Henkes book lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important reading concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant Kevin Henkes book-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Kevin Henkes Lesson Plan
Kevin Henkes is an award-winning children's author/illustrator. In this lesson, students will become familiar with some of his most popular books and will write a letter to Henkes, expressing their opinions about one of his books.
2. Kevin Henkes: Biography, Novels & Awards
Kevin Henkes is the author, illustrator, and creator 40+ books for children. He creates both chapter and picture books. In this lesson, we will look at his background, some of his books, and the honors he received.
3. Bird Lake Moon Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses 'Bird Lake Moon' to teach about first person, third person, limited and omniscient points of view. It also includes a writing project that focuses on understanding setting and descriptive details.
4. Chrysanthemum Book Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan will help students use prepositions, recognize and name ending punctuation, and distinguish shades of meaning among verbs as they read 'Chrysanthemum' by Kevin Henkes.
5. Chrysanthemum Reading Activities
'Chrysanthemum' is a children's novel by Kevin Henkes about a young girl whose attitude is influenced by her peers. The activities in this asset will support elementary classrooms that are learning about this book.
6. Jessica by Kevin Henkes Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students answer questions about the story, understand the purpose of the introduction and conclusion, and retell the story using temporal words as they read 'Jessica' by Kevin Henkes.
7. Owen by Kevin Henkes Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students answer questions about key details in the text, understand the relationship between illustrations and the text, and understand the roles of the illustrator and author as they read ''Owen'' by Kevin Henkes.
8. Birds by Kevin Henkes Lesson Plan
'Birds' by Kevin Henke is the foundation for students to learn colors and types of birds through discussion, games, art and writing activities. Students will also explore the purpose of a text through discussion.
9. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse Lesson Plan
After listening to the book, 'Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse,' by Kevin Henkes, students will make a text-to-self connection to the book and will write about their own prized possessions to create a class book.
10. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse Activities for Kids
'Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse' is a story about a disobedient little mouse who learns a tough lesson. Geared toward lower elementary students, there are a lot of great lessons for students to learn from this book and from these activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Famous Children's Authors Lesson Plans course
- Teaching Eric Carle Books
- Ezra Jack Keats Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Patricia Polacco Books
- Dr. Seuss Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Books by Marc Brown
- Teaching Beverly Cleary Books
- Teaching Cynthia Rylant Books
- Judy Blume Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Pam Munoz Ryan Books
- Teaching Books by Jan Brett
- Books by Jean Craighead George Lesson Plans
- Gary Paulsen Books Lesson Plans & Activities
- Roald Dahl Books Lesson Plans
- Jerry Spinelli Books Lesson Plans
- Louis Sachar Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Peg Kehret Books
- Teaching Leo Lionni Books