About This Chapter
Teaching Leo Lionni Books - Chapter Summary
Check out this teacher resource chapter to plan and enhance a children's literature unit on Leo Lionni and his books. The chapter includes comprehensive lesson plan outlines about Lionni, as well as the following books:
- Little Blue and Yellow
- A Color Of His Own
- Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse
You'll also find related class activities that you can use in the classroom. For your convenience, we've made these resources available at any time and accessible on any Internet-connected device.
How It Helps
- Lesson planning: Helps you plan engaging and informative Leo Lionni book lessons any time that fits into your schedule.
- Additional resources: Includes class activities that you can easily incorporate into your children's literature instruction.
- Student engagement: Encourages your students to have fun while learning about this author's books.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Leo Lionni lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Leo Lionni books you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your children's literature class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related children's literature lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Leo Lionni books from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant literature-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Leo Lionni Lesson Plan
Students will enjoy learning about a famous children's book author Leo Lionni. They will read a lesson, participate in discussion questions, complete an activity, and take a quiz.
2. Little Blue and Yellow Lesson Plan
This lesson plan may be used to help your students answer questions about the text, describe the relationship between the text and illustrations in a story, and read color words while reading 'Little Blue and Little Yellow' by Leo Lionni.
3. Frederick by Leo Lionni Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students identify key details, answer questions, and summarize the story ''Frederick'' by Leo Leonni. Further, students will discuss how some of the characters changed over the course of the story.
4. A Color Of His Own Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses 'A Color of His Own' to teach about animal camouflage and explore the theme of friendship in a group activity. It also includes a story extension activity.
5. A Color of His Own Activities
'A Color of His Own', by Leo Lionni, provides an opportunity for class activities that can be adapted for many different levels of ability and learning styles.
6. Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse Lesson Plan
This lesson will help your students gain a deeper understanding of the book 'Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse' by Leo Lionni. Students will read the story and participate in a role-playing activity that will help them summarize the book.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Famous Children's Authors Lesson Plans course
- Teaching Eric Carle Books
- Ezra Jack Keats Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Patricia Polacco Books
- Dr. Seuss Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Kevin Henkes Books
- Teaching Books by Marc Brown
- Teaching Beverly Cleary Books
- Teaching Cynthia Rylant Books
- Judy Blume Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Pam Munoz Ryan Books
- Teaching Books by Jan Brett
- Books by Jean Craighead George Lesson Plans
- Gary Paulsen Books Lesson Plans & Activities
- Roald Dahl Books Lesson Plans
- Jerry Spinelli Books Lesson Plans
- Louis Sachar Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Peg Kehret Books