About This Chapter
Teaching Life of Pi - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have designed this chapter to showcase various approaches that educators can use to teach Life of Pi to their students. A few of the topics discussed in this chapter include the following:
- Activity ideas connected to the novel
- Questions to promote good discussions
- A review of similar literature
Our straightforward lessons provide you with the info you need to make your own lesson plans for this novel unit. Whether you are looking for activities, study questions, or full-on lesson plans, our materials can give you the inspiration and step-by-step guidance that you can use directly in your own classroom.
How It Helps
- Timesaver: Instead of searching the Internet for ideas, we keep everything in one easy-to-navigate location, so you won't waste any of your prep time if you go to our resource first.
- Enhances student skills: Our lessons focus on your needs as the teacher, which include improving the skills of your students, so you can rest easy knowing that everything in this chapter can be used to boost your students' reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Increases teacher resources: Even if you have taught this novel before, the information in our chapter provides you with new ideas that you can cycle in and out of your curriculum for years to come.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe a full unit plan to teach the novel
- Identify how to outline individual lesson plans for the text
- Integrate pre-reading activities into your classroom
- Implement thoughtful classroom activities about the novel
- Explain useful writing activities to increase student comprehension
- Point out important discussion questions for homework assignments and quizzes
- Offer examples of other books similar to Life of Pi
1. Life of Pi Unit Plan
'Life of Pi,' by Yann Martel, is an important and moving book, but also a challenging one to teach. This lesson offers a potential unit plan for organizing your classroom work with the text.
2. Life of Pi Lesson Plan
Use this lesson to help students summarize 'The Life of Pi' by Yann Martel. After they have finished reading the novel and lesson, students will have a chance to discuss and analyze plot before applying comprehension skills to an activity.
3. Life of Pi Pre-Reading Activities
Yann Martel's ~'Life of Pi~' is a complicated text that deals with captivating themes. The pre-reading activities in this lesson will help your students prepare themselves to get as much as possible out of the book.
4. Life of Pi Classroom Activities
''Life of Pi'' is the story of survival of a young man under fantastical circumstances. This lesson provides examples of group and individual activities based on the story.
5. Life of Pi Writing Activities
You can enhance student comprehension before, during, and after your students read 'Life of Pi' by incorporating writing activities into your instruction. This lesson offers ideas and prompts that will get students thinking.
6. Discussion Questions for Life of Pi
''Life of Pi'', by Yann Martel, presents an incredible opportunity to engage your students in conversations they will remember for the rest of their lives. The discussion questions in this lesson are oriented toward deepening your students' experience with the text.
7. Books Like Life of Pi
The 'Life of Pi' is the story of a young man and his journey on a boat with a tiger. The following lesson provides a variety of books that are similar to the 'Life of Pi'.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life of Pi Study Guide course