About This Chapter
Teaching Numbers in Early Childhood Education - Chapter Summary
This chapter looks into topics that are relevant to the teaching of mathematics in early childhood education. You'll shore up your knowledge of fundamental terms and operations key to navigating this subject area while adding helpful tools to your teaching tool belt. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Teaching early numeracy
- Real and rational numbers
- Using the number line
- Rounding whole numbers
- Defining and exemplifying place value
- Writing numerical expressions
The practice quizzes attached to each of these lessons can be used to keep tabs on your understanding along the way, with a practice final exam at the chapter's end allowing for a more complete evaluation of your knowledge. And if at any point you're having trouble, you can always reach out to our professional instructors for assistance through the teacher or help tab.
1. Strategies for Teaching Early Numeracy Skills
One part of teaching young children is preparing them to understand mathematics. This means learning how numbers work and how they relate to one another. This lesson gives you some ideas for teaching early numeracy skills to children.
2. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
3. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
4. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
5. How to Round Whole Numbers
View this lesson to learn how you can round whole numbers. Practice rounding to the nearest tens and hundreds. Learn which digit you need to look at to know whether to round up or down.
6. What is Place Value? - Definition & Examples
Every digit in a number has a place value. In this lesson, through definition and example, we will learn what a place value is and how to find the place value of a specific digit. At the end of the lesson, you can continue practicing with a quiz.
7. How to Write a Numerical Expression? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be given the definition of a numerical expression and learn how to write one. You will be provided with plenty of examples to clearly illustrate this important mathematical concept.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2)(211/212/245): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Information Resources
- Language Processing & Development
- Language Teaching Strategies for Diverse Students
- Teaching Phonics, Phonemic Awareness & Fluency
- Teaching the Foundations of English Language Arts
- Teaching Word Recognition in Early Childhood
- Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
- Language Knowledge & Vocabulary
- Teaching Reading Comprehension in Early Childhood
- Teaching Literacy with Informational Texts
- Early Childhood Writing Development & Instruction
- Promoting Literacy Through Listening
- Early Childhood Reading Issues & Interventions
- Language Arts Assessments in Early Childhood
- Math Instruction & Assessment in Early Childhood
- Basic Mathematical Operations & Conversions
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Measurement & Geometry
- Data, Statistics and Probability
- Scientific Inquiry & Investigation
- Physical Science Basics
- Scientific Concepts for the Living Environment
- Use of Engineering & Design in Scientific Learning
- Major U.S. Historical Events
- Role of New York in Shaping the U.S.
- Geography Concepts
- Human Population Distribution Patterns
- Relationship Between Economics, Government & Politics
- Rights & Responsibilities of Citizenship in the U.S.
- Social Studies Research Skills
- Visual Arts Techniques
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Health, Safety & Community Awareness
- Physical Development & Activities in Early Childhood
- Understanding Childhood Development & Care
- Consumer Economics & Personal Resource Management
- Career Development Resources
- NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood Flashcards