About This Chapter
Teaching Patricia Polacco Books - Chapter Summary
This engaging chapter provides lesson plans you can use to effectively teach your students about the books of Patricia Polacco. Titles covered here include Chicken Sunday, Some Birthday and Rechenka's Eggs, among others. These lesson plans are written by experienced instructors, so you can have confidence that you're teaching your students accurate information in a thorough and helpful way. Feel free to reach out to one of our instructors if you have any questions along the way.
How It Helps
- Covers many titles: A wide variety of Patricia Polacco books are covered in these lesson plans, giving you a wealth of material to use from just one chapter.
- Makes planning easy: Because you can access these lesson plans from your mobile device 24 hours a day, you can update your curriculum at your own convenience and with total flexibility.
- Provides context: Not only will you review lesson plans about Patricia Polacco's books, this chapter also contains lessons about the author, including her biography and some of the awards she's won.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning Patricia Polacco book lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for Patricia Polacco book topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your reading class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related Patricia Polacco book lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important reading concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant Patricia Polacco book-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
Patricia Polacco is a famous children's author and illustrator who has written over 115 books. Through this lesson, students will learn about major events in her life and her books and awards. Students will collaboratively develop a timeline of important events in her life.
2. Patricia Polacco: Biography, Facts & Quotes
Patricia Polacco is a popular children's book author and illustrator. She composed and did the art for many books which retell her family stories. This lesson will explore her background and some quotes from the author.
3. Patricia Polacco: Books & Awards
The children's book author and illustrator Patricia Polacco is a prolific author of books for young people. This lesson explores some of her popular books and honors the author has received.
4. The Keeping Quilt Lesson Plan
'The Keeping Quilt' is a picture book by award-winning author/illustrator, Patricia Polacco. In this lesson, students will read and discuss the story, then create a paper quilt of their own to reflect their family.
5. The Keeping Quilt Summary
This lesson introduces readers to the story and themes in Patricia Polacco's picture book ''The Keeping Quilt.'' Polacco relates the significance of the Jewish experience in Russian-American life through the many uses of the family quilt.
6. Bully by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students identify the theme and message of the story. They will also dramatize parts of the story while reading ''Bully'' by Patricia Polacco.
7. The Butterfly by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan teaches students to use a variety of writing techniques to respond to and analyze the story 'The Butterfly.' It includes exercises in point of view and symbolism.
8. Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students explore the book ''Chicken Sunday'' by Patricia Polacco. Students will complete activities that involve using text evidence to support discussion question answers and practicing similes.
9. Chicken Sunday Comprehension Questions
Patricia Polacco's moving book ''Chicken Sunday'' is a wonderful tool you can use to teach several aspects of reading. This lesson provides comprehension questions for your students, focusing on story elements and comprehension strategies.
10. Some Birthday by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students analyze characters, write about personal experiences, and understand compound words as they read 'Some Birthday' by Patricia Polacco.
11. Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses 'Thunder Cake' to teach students about point of view and plot. The lesson plan includes a read aloud, group work and discussion questions.
12. Emma Kate by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students make inferences about a story using illustrations and understand the principles behind syllabication while reading 'Emma Kate' by Patricia Polacco.
13. Christmas Tapestry by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan explores dynamic characters and event sequences using the story 'Christmas Tapestry'. The lesson plan includes discussion questions, whole class and small group exercises and a writing project.
14. Rechenka's Eggs by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students describe the setting and determine the meaning of unfamiliar words in context while reading ''Rechenka's Eggs'' by Patricia Polacco.
15. Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students make inferences, retell major events in chronological order, and participate in a formal discussion about 'Pink and Say' by Patricia Polacco.
16. Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students learn to participate in formal discussions about a story and recognize the various viewpoints of characters while reading 'The Junkyard Wonders' by Patricia Polacco.
17. Ginger and Petunia by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students decode compound words and gain a better understanding of the main characters as they read 'Ginger and Petunia' by Patricia Polacco.
18. Babushka's Doll by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will practice formulating and answering questions regarding the key details of a story. They will identify the moral of the story and write an opinion piece.
19. Babushka's Doll by Patricia Polacco Activities
'Babushka's Doll' is a book written by Patricia Polacco about a mischievous doll that comes to life. Use the activities below to help students see the meaning behind this story.
20. Thank You, Mr. Falker Lesson Plan
Use the book 'Thank You, Mr. Falker' to teach students about the elements of a story with this lesson plan. Guide students with a familiar text, then allow students to apply with independent practice.
21. Bun Bun Button Lesson Plan
''Bun Bun Buttons'' tells the story of a girl who loses and finds a special toy. By concentrating on its prepositional phrases, this lesson plan guides students through the book with discussion, games and written assignments.
22. Mr. Lincoln's Way Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses discussion questions, small group work, and individual work to explore the story elements of character and theme in Patricia Polacco's book, 'Mr. Lincoln's Way'.
23. Mr. Lincoln's Way: Summary & Theme
In 'Mr. Lincoln's Way' by Patricia Polacco, a young boy named Eugene is heading down a dark and lonely path. Can Mr. Lincoln reach him before it's too late? In this lesson, the story will be summarized and the major themes are explored.
24. My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help you instruct students on the book ''My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother'', by Patricia Polacco. Your students will be able to use context clues to interpret the text and explain why relationships between characters evolve over time.
25. Just Plain Fancy by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students analyze diverse settings and cultures, as well as use possessive nouns and pronouns as they read ''Just Plain Fancy'' by Patricia Polacco.
26. The Graves Family Goes Camping Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses the book 'The Graves Family Goes Camping' to teach students to clarify unknown vocabulary using context clues and dictionary skills.
27. The Graves Family by Patricia Polacco Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students learn to participate in formal discussions about a story and recognize the various viewpoints of characters while reading 'The Graves Family' by Patricia Polacco.
28. The Lemonade Club Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students retell the story using details to describe how characters reacted to challenges and explain common idioms while reading 'The Lemonade Club' by Patricia Polacco.
29. The Art of Miss Chew Lesson Plan
'The Art of Miss Chew' by Patricia Polacco explores a little girl's love of art and her struggle to read. Students will listen to the story, answer questions, and complete a project.
30. January's Sparrow Lesson Plan
After students have read 'January's Sparrow' by Patricia Polacco, use this lesson plan to explore a dark period in American history, slavery. Students will read a lesson, answer questions, complete an activity and take a quiz.
31. January's Sparrow: Summary, Theme & Quotes
Meet the Crosswhites, a family of slaves running for their lives in search of freedom. Read this lesson to learn a summary of their story, quotations and themes in Patricia Polacco's 'January's Sparrow'.
32. Pink & Say Lesson Plan
Increase understanding of Patricia Polacco's book Pink and Say with this lesson plan. A text lesson helps students summarize the story, analyze characters and identify themes.
33. Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco: Summary, Characters & Themes
In this lesson, we will discuss ''Pink and Say'' by Patricia Polacco. Specifically, we will present a story summary and look at the characters and themes of this powerful children's story about the Civil War.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Famous Children's Authors Lesson Plans course
- Teaching Eric Carle Books
- Ezra Jack Keats Books Lesson Plans
- Dr. Seuss Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Kevin Henkes Books
- Teaching Books by Marc Brown
- Teaching Beverly Cleary Books
- Teaching Cynthia Rylant Books
- Judy Blume Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Pam Munoz Ryan Books
- Teaching Books by Jan Brett
- Books by Jean Craighead George Lesson Plans
- Gary Paulsen Books Lesson Plans & Activities
- Roald Dahl Books Lesson Plans
- Jerry Spinelli Books Lesson Plans
- Louis Sachar Books Lesson Plans
- Teaching Peg Kehret Books
- Teaching Leo Lionni Books