About This Chapter
Teaching Resources to Support STEM Education - Chapter Summary
If you're a teacher who wants to support STEM education in your classroom, look no further than this collection of convenient and useful instructional resources. The chapter contains engaging lessons that show you how to stay on top of educational trends, set up your classroom to support STEM instruction and integrate educational technologies in your curricula.
You can access these resources at any time using your desktop, laptop, mobile device or smartphone. This way, you can review these resources whenever it's convenient and easily implement them in your classroom. We've also included interactive quizzes to help you evaluate your readiness to integrate these STEM resources in your instruction.
How It Helps
- Identifies current educational trends: These resources give you the latest information on current educational trends and technologies.
- Builds awareness: You'll become aware of useful STEM technologies and be able to effectively use them in the classroom.
- Modifies instruction and the classroom environment: You'll be able to adapt your classroom and instructional approaches to better integrate educational technologies
Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Keep up with and implement current educational technology trends
- Set up a STEM classroom
- Use technology-based resources for classroom management
- Understand the features of a Learning Management System
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of computer use in the classroom
- Integrate varied technology in your classroom in the context of the Bring Your Own Device initiative
- Know how to use social media, search engines and smart boards in the classroom
1. Educational Technology Trends: What Teachers Should Know
Educational technology is becoming incredibly important in the classroom and to student learning in general. This lesson will detail some of the trends of educational technology so that you can best implement this technology into your own classroom.
2. How to Keep Up with Trends in Education
In this lesson, we will look at several ways teachers can stay up to date on trends in education. We will discuss topics such as attending professional development, taking a college class, joining a professional organization, among others.
3. STEM Classroom Setup Ideas for Teachers
STEM education is extremely important today, and teachers in the STEM fields play an important role in preparing students for the future. This lesson looks at some of the crucial aspects of setting up a classroom for STEM learning.
4. Technology-Based Classroom Management Resources
In this lesson, we'll look at several types of technology-based classroom management resources, such as digital gradebooks and classroom behavior trackers. We'll also explore tips for using these resources as well as reasons why they're helpful.
5. What is a Learning Management System (LMS)?
In this lesson, we will define what a Learning Management System is, speak in detail about the many things that a Learning Management System can do, and describe what you can do with particular features of a LMS.
6. What Is a Smart Board?
In this lesson, we'll examine the basic functions of a SMART Board. We'll also discuss add-on hardware and software that can be used with a SMART Board. Test your knowledge by completing a short quiz afterwards.
7. Computers in the Classroom: Benefits & Disadvantages
Computers are becoming an increasingly common tool in the classroom. This lesson will explain some of the benefits as well as the disadvantages of having computers in the classroom.
8. Bring Your Own Device: Pros & Cons in Schools
Should personal smartphones, tablets, and laptops be permitted in schools? What benefits and risks may be involved? Some schools participate in bring your own device programs. This lesson will discuss the pros and cons of bring your own device.
9. Using Search Engines for Online Research
The Internet can be a resource that saves you time, but if you don't know how to use it properly, it can be a frustrating experience. In this lesson, you will learn about how to properly find supporting materials online with research tips and tricks.
10. Using Social Media in the Classroom
Social media has become second nature to today's learners, so why not use it in the classroom? This lesson provides an overview of social media and explains how it can be used to enhance student learning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Understanding & Applying STEM Education in the Classroom course