About This Chapter
Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills - Chapter Summary
Feel confident in your understanding of ways to teach speaking and listening skills using this informative chapter. Entertaining lessons closely examine instructional approaches educators can use to develop students' speaking and writing skills. Completing this chapter will enable you to do the following:
- Share strategies and methods for teaching speaking skills
- List methods for developing ELL speaking and listening skills for academic and social purposes
- Discuss strategies for teaching listening skills to children
Studying for a test that covers the basics of teaching speaking and listening skills is simple using the resources in this chapter. All lessons are accessible around-the-clock via any computer or mobile device and can be viewed in any sequence and as often as you'd like. Mini quizzes let you quickly assess your comprehension of the lessons you review, while our practice exam ensures you have a quality understanding of the entire chapter. Feel free to submit any questions about specific lesson topics to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. Teaching Speaking Skills: Strategies & Methods
In the push to teach students reading and writing, it's easy to forget about speaking! This lesson gives you ideas for teaching speaking skills, including explaining how spoken language works and what you can do to support it.
2. Developing ELL Speaking Skills for Social & Academic Purposes
The differences between social and academic speaking skills are often overlooked in an ELL classroom. This lesson includes instructional practices and strategies for differentiating and delivering content for both types of speaking.
3. Teaching Listening Skills to Children
Sometimes it seems like children just won't listen! Maybe they simply don't have the skills yet. This lesson will give you some strategies for teaching your students to listen.
4. Developing ELL Listening Skills for Social & Academic Purposes
It's difficult to overestimate the importance of listening skills for English Language Learners (ELLs). This lesson outlines instructional techniques teachers can use to help develop ELLs' social and academic listening skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Special Education Reading, ELA & Social Studies (087): Practice & Study Guide course
- Literacy Theories & Acquisition
- Emergent Literacy & Word Recognition
- Evidence-Based Reading & Writing Instruction
- Selecting Classroom Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Writing & Reading
- Promoting Reading & Writing Development
- Diversity in Schools
- Methods for Differentiating Instruction
- Differentiated Teaching Strategies
- Incorporating Technology Into Instruction
- Administering Assessment
- Interpreting & Using Assessment Data
- Government of the US & Georgia
- Economic Systems & Principles
- Basics of Personal Finance
- Geography of the US & Georgia
- Overview of World Geography
- Overview of Human & Environment Interactions
- Maps & Spatial Patterns
- Exploration & Colonialism in the Americas
- Understanding the Revolutionary War
- Creating the United States of America
- US Expansion, Civil War & Reconstruction Period
- Major 20th Century Developments in the US
- Social & Cultural Developments in the US & Georgia
- Economic & Technological Developments in the US & Georgia
- Contemporary U.S. History
- Impact of European Exploration & Colonization
- Contemporary Issues in World History
- GACE Special Education Reading, ELA & Social Studies Flashcards