About This Chapter
Teaching the Coordinate Plane - Chapter Summary
Our instructors outline teaching the coordinate plane in this interesting chapter. You'll review the definition of the coordinate plane, as well as ways to successfully teach students about these topics. As a great way to prepare to earn college credit, take the short quiz that follows each lesson or the test you'll find at the end of the chapter. These lessons and quizzes are self-paced and accessible 24 hours a day so you can take as much time as you need. After finishing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain the quadrants in the coordinate plane
- Detail ordered pairs on the coordinate plane
- Use activities and games to teach students about these subjects
1. What is a Coordinate Plane? - Definition, Quadrants & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn what a coordinate plane is and some coordinate plane terminology. You'll also see a few examples of coordinate planes in action. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
3. Coordinate Plane Games & Activities
Playing games while learning something new is fun and helps the concepts learned easier to retain. In this lesson, we will discuss various games that students can play to become comfortable with the coordinate plane.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 211: Teaching Elementary Math course
- Understanding Math Standards
- Developing Math Curriculum
- Planning Math Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for Math Teachers
- Creating Math Learning Environments
- Assessments for Teaching Math
- Educational Resources for Teaching Math
- Counting & Cardinality in the Classroom
- Teaching Mathematical Operations
- Algebraic Thinking in the Classroom
- Teaching Base 10 & Fractions
- Teaching Standard & Metric Measurements
- Teaching Time & Money
- Teaching Geometry Basics
- Geometric Measurements in the Classroom
- Teaching Graphical Data Identification