About This Chapter
Teaching The Hobbit - Chapter Summary
This chapter gives you tools you can use to teach the book The Hobbit to your students. Enhance your current lesson plans or create new ones with our resources, which include:
- A sample lesson plan for The Hobbit
- Comprehension and discussion questions
- Classroom activities and project ideas
- A list of books similar to The Hobbit
We fully understand the demands of your schedule as an educator. For this reason, our resources are available to you at any time and anywhere you can get Internet access, on your computer, tablet, smartphone. Having this type of flexibility when planning lessons makes it more convenient for you.
How It Helps
- Facilitates student participation: When you use the resources in this chapter, you can incorporate different activities to engage students when teaching the book The Hobbit.
- Expands curriculum: This chapter offers different resources and tools that you can directly apply to expand or develop your curriculum.
- Increases student understanding: When you use the ideas and activities in this chapter, your students will have a better understanding of the novel The Hobbit.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Put together a lesson plan for The Hobbit
- Use discussion and comprehension questions to assess your students' knowledge of the story
- Apply different book activities in your classroom
- Share books that are similar to The Hobbit
1. The Hobbit Lesson Plan
Enhance your instruction on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit with a Study.com text lesson paired with ample opportunities for student analysis. If your students can't get enough of The Hobbit, take it further with suggested extensions and related lessons.
2. The Hobbit Discussion Questions
There's a lot to discuss in J.R.R Tolkien's 'The Hobbit.' Take a look at these discussion questions you can use in your classroom, including questions about plot, theme, characters, and setting.
3. The Hobbit Comprehension Questions
To fully absorb the story in a book like The Hobbit, it helps to answer comprehension questions. Check out a few of these ideas for comprehension questions you can use with your students.
4. The Hobbit Activities
The Hobbit is an extraordinary work of fantasy fiction. There's a lot to explore and analyze in the world Tolkien created. Have your students do that through a series of fun activities like the ones presented here.
5. Books Like The Hobbit
'The Hobbit' can serve as a great entry point for reading fantasy books. This lesson will provide you with several books and series that are similar to 'The Hobbit' to help your students begin their exploration into fantasy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Hobbit Study Guide course