About This Chapter
Teaching The Old Man and the Sea - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a variety of teacher resources you can access to enhance your instruction of The Old Man and the Sea. Among the resources available in this chapter are lesson and unit plans, classroom activities, discussion questions and writing prompts. Fun flashcards are also available to help students better understand concepts covered in the novel.
All resources in this chapter are accessible via any computer or mobile device, enabling you to plan your lessons before, during or after school with ease. Revisit these resources as often as needed to create fun and informative lessons that keep your students engaged and help them fully comprehend the novel.
How It Helps
- Cuts down on research time: Lesson plans, unit plans and other helpful teacher resources available in this chapter give you access to amazing instruction and activity ideas in one location.
- Makes lesson planning convenient: Around-the-clock online access to these resources helps you quickly and effectively plan your lessons whenever your schedule permits from any location that's most convenient.
- Gets students involved: Using classroom activities, writing prompts, discussion questions and flashcards can get your students involved during your lessons and help enhance their comprehension.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Incorporate ideas and strategies from the Ernest Hemingway and The Old Man and the Sea lesson and unit plans into your classroom lessons
- Plan entertaining classroom activities and school projects that cover the novel
- Use discussion questions and writing prompts to encourage your students to share ideas about the novel
- Share fun and interactive flashcards to help your students study The Old Man and the Sea concepts for quizzes and tests
- Acquire books similar to The Old Man and the Sea to share with your students
1. Ernest Hemingway Lesson Plan
Teach your students about the legendary Ernest Hemingway with the help of this lesson plan. Students will watch an informative video outlining Hemingway's life, work, and style of writing, view samples of his work to apply learning, then apply their new-found knowledge to an activity.
2. The Old Man and the Sea Unit Plan
A unit plan for Ernest Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea'. Each section can be taught as a separate lesson, covering various components of the novel. This is a resource you as a teacher can use to present the novel to students over a course of several lessons, if desired.
3. The Old Man and the Sea Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses two video lessons, two quizzes, two mini-activities, a discussion, a key term activity, a main activity, and an extension to help your students better appreciate 'The Old Man & The Sea.'
4. Classroom Activities for The Old Man and the Sea
Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea' is a book about the power of internal strength. This lesson provides various in-class activities for students, so they can spend time delving deeper into the book.
5. The Old Man and the Sea Essay, Journal & Narrative Writing Prompts
Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'' is a story of strength and perseverance. This lesson provides essay questions and journal and narrative prompts for students to analyze the story more in depth.
6. The Old Man and the Sea Discussion Questions
Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'' tells of Santiago and his struggle to live as he chooses while still trying to overcome his circumstances. This lesson offers discussion questions for students to use in analyzing and understanding the novel.
7. The Old Man and the Sea School Projects
Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea' is about an old man and his struggle to move past his hindrances to catch a fish. This lesson provides a variety of school projects for this book.
The Old Man and the Sea Flashcards
This set of flashcards can be used to study the main characters and topics associated with Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. Use these flashcards to review the major characters and their symbolism from the novel.
9. Books Like The Old Man and the Sea
Looking for books similar to ''The Old Man and the Sea?'' In this lesson, you'll see a few selections that mimic Hemingway's great novel in terms of theme, writing style and subject matter.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Old Man and the Sea Study Guide course
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary & Historical Context
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary Analysis
- Themes in The Old Man and the Sea
- Literary Devices in The Old Man and the Sea
- Symbols in The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Characters
- Thematic Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- Character Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Summaries