About This Chapter
Teaching The Things They Carried - Chapter Summary
This teacher resource chapter will help supplement your classroom instruction for Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. The lessons are designed help you create a lesson plan for the novel and engage your students with quality discussion questions, essay topics and fun classroom activities. We'll show you how to lead your students through analysis of each of the book's chapters and present you with questions and learning activities you can use in class.
Self-assessment quizzes are included in each lesson to help you make sure you've grasped the material and are ready to effectively teach your students The Things They Carried.
How It Helps
- Benefits student critical thinking and composition skills: The essay questions will help your students think critically about the book's content and sharpen their writing skills
- Enhances student understanding: You'll be able to encourage meaningful classroom discussion with questions covering specific chapters and themes from the book
- Helps design lesson plans: You'll create comprehensive lesson plans that cover the most important elements of the book, such as plot, characters and themes
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Design a comprehensive The Things They Carried lesson plan
- Present your classroom with educational and fun activities that will supplement their understanding of the novel
- Test your students' understanding of the book with chapter questions, essay topics and discussion questions
1. The Things They Carried Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan after reading 'The Things They Carried' to help students summarize book's main ideas, identify theme present in the novel, and examine its characters. Students will then apply learning to an activity.
2. The Things They Carried Chapter Questions
Teachers, the following questions are designed to explore the students' depth and knowledge of each chapter and enhance your classroom discussion to further challenge their critical thinking and literary analysis skills.
3. The Things They Carried Discussion Questions
''The Things They Carried'' is about the Vietnam War and its impact on the soldiers. The discussion questions will prompt students to respond about specific events and characters, while exploring their personal feelings about warfare.
4. The Things They Carried Study Guide Questions
'The Things They Carried' is not the typical war novel. This set of connected short stories shows both the dark and light sides of war, and it offers insight into the human condition. This lesson contains questions to help students focus their thinking on this book.
5. The Things They Carried Essay Topics
One way to help students navigate stories is to ask them to respond in writing. This lesson explains how to use essay questions in the classroom, and provides essay topic ideas related to the study of the novel The Things They Carried.
6. The Things They Carried Activities
'The Things They Carried' is a book made of over 20 connected stories. This lesson provides activities that will help students understand the plot, themes, and characters of the novel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Things They Carried Study Guide course