About This Chapter
Teaching Vocabulary - Chapter Summary
This chapter will get you well-acquainted with some of the most important components for successfully teaching new vocabulary, such as repetition and student motivation. Learn about what word maps and word walls are and how they're used to increase vocabulary. In another lesson, you'll discover how well-known games, including Taboo and Spoons, can be tweaked to allow for students to expand their lexicons. The lessons also explore these related topics for you to study:
- English words that commonly get mixed up
- How using context helps students learn unfamiliar words
- Vocabulary teaching strategies geared specifically toward ELL students
- Tips that help ensure accurate spelling
These lessons can be studied from a computer, smartphone or tablet. Follow each video with a short practice quiz to demonstrate how well you grasp the different vocabulary teaching topics. If you want to rewatch any specific lesson parts, you can use the video tags to help you locate them.
1. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
2. How to Teach New Vocabulary
This lesson describes how to introduce a new vocabulary word and several sample activities for reinforcing the meanings of the terms. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Fun Ways to Teach Vocabulary Words
Teaching vocabulary words to students doesn't have to be boring and repetitive. In this lesson, you will learn methods to energize your classroom during vocabulary instruction. Afterwards, test your new knowledge with our quiz!
4. Teaching Vocabulary to ELL Students
Using a translator or carrying a translating device is not realistic when learning English as a second language. In this lesson, you'll learn how to strategically teach vocabulary to English language learners.
5. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
6. Commonly Confused Words in English
Is it 'accept' or 'except?' 'Affect' or 'effect?' How do you know when to use 'there,' 'their,' or 'they're?' Watch this video lesson to learn about some confusing words in English and how to properly use each one.
7. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Reading Teacher: Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Reading
- Language & Reading Development
- Emergent Literacy
- Learning Through Context
- Analyzing Content While Reading
- Fostering Strategic Readers
- Reading Process Models & Theories
- Instructional Strategies for Literacy
- Interrelationships in Language Arts
- Impacts on Reading Instruction
- Teaching Diverse Learners to Read
- Reading Assessment & Evaluation
- Using Data to Monitor Progress in Reading
- Selecting Reading Materials & Resources
- Role of the Reading Professional
- Role of Parents & the Community in Reading Instruction
- Managing the Classroom
- PLACE Reading Teacher Flashcards